The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] port of old unices to i386?
@ 2002-11-11  5:39 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2002-11-11  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recall a thread about this only a few months ago.  Check out the TUHS mail archive - I seem to recall that someone had ported V7 to the x86 architecture.  Me, I have a PDP-11/34 in my basement....  -- Ian
________________________________

I have not signed up for this list I just emailed tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
directly and hoped it would get through :) Please send replies to
jesperjacobsson at yahoo.se

Answers would be very appriciated!
Thanks in advance,
Jesper

=====

* [TUHS] port of old unices to i386?
@ 2002-11-11  9:08 ` SZIGETI Szabolcs
From: SZIGETI Szabolcs @ 2002-11-11  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I recall a thread about this only a few months ago.  Check out the TUHS
mail archive - I seem to recall that someone had ported V7 to the x86
architecture.  Me, I have a PDP-11/34 in my basement....  -- Ian

Hi,

I did a port of  V6 to the 286. See:
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Other/V6on286/

BTW, has anyone ran any Unix on the DEC Professional? (the desktop PDP11,
and Vax-console)?

Szabolcs

* [TUHS] port of old unices to i386?
@ 2002-11-11 22:59   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-11-11 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by SZIGETI Szabolcs:
> BTW, has anyone ran any Unix on the DEC Professional? (the desktop PDP11,
> and Vax-console)?
> Szabolcs

Have a look in
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.9-derivatives/

	Warren

* [TUHS] port of old unices to i386?
@ 2002-11-12 18:36   ` Bill Mayhew
From: Bill Mayhew @ 2002-11-12 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> BTW, has anyone ran any Unix on the DEC Professional? (the desktop PDP11,
> and Vax-console)?

Yes.  I ported Idris (the independently-written system from Whitesmiths,
Ltd.) to the Pro 350, in an earlier life, in the early-to-mid-1980s.

        -Bill
Bill Mayhew
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent
those of Oracle Corporation.

@ 2002-11-10  3:23 ` Jeffrey Sharp
From: Jeffrey Sharp @ 2002-11-10  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 9, 2002, Jesper Jacobsson wrote:
> I guess the distributions there surely won't work on my computer.

Got a PDP-11 or a VAX?

> Is there a way to get them work on a i386 computer?

Yeah. Get a PDP-11 emulator. Multiple ones exist, some freely available and
some not. Use Google for instant gratification.

--
Jeffrey Sharp

* [TUHS] port of old unices to i386?
@ 2002-11-10  3:16 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2002-11-10  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday,  9 November 2002 at 23:18:07 +0100, Jesper Jacobsson wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am a linux-user and I came across TUHS for the first time today
> actually when I was searching google for old unices. I love linux and
> am very interested in the history of unix. For some time I have wanted
> to try out some early versions of unix as I am in my early 20's and was
> born too late to have been around those days :( I havn't found any
> people to ask about this till today :) Anyway, I browsed the
> filearchive and I guess the distributions there surely won't work on my
> computer. Is there a way to get them work on a i386 computer? Have
> someone made any ports of an early unix system to i386 out of
> nostalgia?

Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "early UNIX".  FreeBSD,
NetBSD and OpenBSD are all ports of BSD UNIX to at least the i386
architecture.

> If not, could someone take it on as a hobbyproject so that new
> generations of unix-like-OS-users can explore it? It would be both
> fun and also very educational to play around with I am sure.

Well, I suppose you could start with an early version of NetBSD or
FreeBSD and use the machine-dependent parts to port older versions of
UNIX.  But it's a non-trivial task.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

* [TUHS] port of old unices to i386?
@ 2002-11-09 22:18 Jesper Jacobsson

I have not signed up for this list I just emailed tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
directly and hoped it would get through :) Please send replies to
jesperjacobsson at yahoo.se

Answers would be very appriciated!
Thanks in advance,
Jesper