The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] Is there anything I can do to help?
@ 2008-04-29 12:31 Andrew Warkentin
From: Andrew Warkentin @ 2008-04-29 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there anything I can do to help restore this system? I'm not very
familiar with PDP-11 assembly.

* [Unix-jun72] Is there anything I can do to help?
@ 2008-04-29 14:38 ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2008-04-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm really interested in this project.

My first exposure to the -11 was in 1976. I learned assembly language
in the second computer science course I took on an 11/20.

Since then I've been a big fan of the pdp11 and own several of the
more recent designs. I'd be happy to help with this project but I
don't have any free timem to devote for another week.

I have a pdp11/05 that is comparable to the 11/20 in terms of speed
and instruction set. I need help in restoring it to operating
condition. Sepcifically the power supplies need some transistors to be
replaced. There are also a bunch of other things that may need help.
Core is of unknown capacity but it's doubtful that it exceeds 24kW.
I'd also prefer not to have to resurrect a hardcopy console which
means converting the console interface on the CPU board to talk to a
more modern serial device. Any constructive  :) suggestions welcome.

  - Milo

On Apr 29, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Andrew Warkentin wrote:

> Is there anything I can do to help restore this system? I'm not very
> familiar with PDP-11 assembly.

Milo Velimirović,  Unix Computer Network Administrator
608.785.6618 Office -  608.386.2817 Cell
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601 USA   43 48 48 N 91 13 53 W

* [Unix-jun72] Is there anything I can do to help?
@ 2008-04-29 17:00 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-04-29 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there anything I can do to help restore this system? I'm not very
> familiar with PDP-11 assembly.

Anyone who wants to help and doesn't mind a little tedium, we still
need people to review some of the sections.  If you go to the svn
and read the notes file you'll notice that many sections haven't
been reviewed yet.  Just add your name to the section you are going
to commit to, and start comparing the entered pages to the original
document.  In particular take care to look for the use of capital O
in place of 0 (zero) and the use of 1 (one) I (eye) and l (ell).

If you find any weirdness in the original document please enter it
as-is and document it in the notes file.  When you're done your
edits, commit them back to the svn.  You'll need to send me your
google account name for me to add you to the project so you can
check out the code with commit access.

It would probably be a good idea to drop an email to the list claiming
your piece of work, too.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/