The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] jun72 init.s
@ 2008-05-05  2:07 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-05  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I entered init.s and played around with it a little.  I *think* it might
be working (I stepped through some of it) but it doesn't use the normal
tty in multi-user mode, so it's hard to tell without dc-11 support.
I guess it was lucky that we used the s2 init instead of the jun72
init, because it seems the s2 init does run getty on the main terminal
in multiuser mode.

The process for building it is:

    $ tools/rebuild
    $ tools/as sys1.s build/init.s

and you'll have a "b.out" in the current dir.

Is anyone planning on working on dc-11 support?

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* [Unix-jun72] jun72 init.s
@ 2008-05-05  2:47 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-05  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    $ tools/rebuild
>    $ tools/as sys1.s build/init.s

Init works now provided you edit the "itab" appropriately.  If you
change the first entry to "'8: .." and comment out all the rest it
will spawn a tty on /dev/tty8 which is an alias for /dev/tty.  If
you leave in other tty entries, the system will respond much more
slowly, will print a login prompt, but then become unresponsive.
Possibly the kernel has some tty handling bugs still present or
doesn't like running without the DC11 hardware present?

@ 2008-05-05  2:52   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-05  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Init works now provided you edit the "itab" appropriately.  If you
> change the first entry to "'8: .." and comment out all the rest it

If anyone wants to play with it, here's the binary, configured only
to spawn on tty8.  It mounts rk0 during startup.  Drop it onto your
cold tape in place of the normal s2 /etc/init.

    http://www.thenewsh.com/%7Enewsham/unix_jun72/init