The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-22 12:08 Natalia Portillo
From: Natalia Portillo @ 2003-06-22 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to get a UNIX that runs on a 8086 or 8088 PC?
Or for 80286 or 80386?

Xenix?
AT&T?
SCO?
Interactive UNIX?

Where please?

* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-22 16:21 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2003-06-22 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> Is it possible to get a UNIX that runs on a 8086 or 8088 PC?
> Or for 80286 or 80386?
>
> Xenix?
> AT&T?
> SCO?
> Interactive UNIX?

Minix is available and under a BSD like license.  I don't know if it will
suit you since it isn't derived from AT&T code, and the source for the for
the compiler is not included.

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Churchill's Commentary on Man:
          Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,
          but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-22 16:33   ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2003-06-22 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andru Luvisi wrote:
[snip]
> Minix is available and under a BSD like license.  I don't know if it will
> suit you since it isn't derived from AT&T code, and the source for the for
> the compiler is not included.
>
> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html

I spoke too soon.  Apparently the sources for ACK are now available:
  ftp://ftp.cs.vu.nl/pub/kjb/ACK/ACK-5.2.tar.gz

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Heisenberg may have been here.

* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-24 20:13 ` Natalia Portillo
From: Natalia Portillo @ 2003-06-24 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Finally the posts became absolutely out of context.

I was talking about getting UNIX variants, nor "derivates" (such as
Linux or MINIX), nor current in-development projects like
Free/Open/Net-BSD.

* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-23 21:23   ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-06-23 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

My turn to be the apologetic pendant but Andy wrote that he was trying to clone
version 7 not version 6.  A quick way to check is look for a stat.h file with a
"struct stat" in it.  That was added after version 6.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-23  7:31 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-06-23  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 07:15:39AM +0000, zmkm zmkm wrote:
> warren
>
> you missunderstood my point , I didn't imply it has at&t code!

Ah, apologies. I usually take ``derived'' to mean ``used code from'' :-)

Ciao!
	Warren

* [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
@ 2003-06-23  7:15 zmkm zmkm
From: zmkm zmkm @ 2003-06-23  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

warren

you missunderstood my point , I didn't imply it has at&t code !, what I
meant is it has the look and feel of at&t unix and indeed it was modeled (if
you prefer instead of derived :-) ) after unix 6 as per the author and the
way it look and feel.

as for the book , yup I read both the original book and the second one ,
that's what I meant it's an educational project oriented towards students.

cheers
zmkm

From: zmkm zmkm @ 2003-06-23  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-06-22 21:28 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-06-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-06-22 17:47 zmkm zmkm
From: zmkm zmkm @ 2003-06-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

natalia

check also comp.os.minix it's active.

zmkm

@ 2003-06-22 17:29 zmkm zmkm
From: zmkm zmkm @ 2003-06-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

andru

actually it's indeed derived from at&t unix 6 also it feels closer to the
actual old unix than other newer variants and it comes with C compiler and
an assembler in the distribution ,
I am currently using 2.0.3 and I like it except for few reservations about
its developments tools ,  it's nice in the way unix purist used to like
versions 6 and 7 , small efficient neat and trying hard to become fully
posix .

the development tools aren't as good as they should be  I don't like the ACK
(amersterdam compiler kit) it feels gaged but its latest c compiler is
highly ansi compatible , its assembler is a close cousin to the old
assembler in IBM PC/IX version of unix.

to answer natalia

you can run it in two modes 16 bit and 32 bit check the 2.0.3 distribution
page there are several packages 86/286/386 , don't bother with the so called
2.0.0. or CD distribution it's old., the real nice touch is the version that
runs in dos under windows , it's cute but be aware not everything works in
due to the limited resources , but I like it for quick hacks.
minix was done for educational purposes the book published by AST the guy
behind minix contains complete source code and oriented towards students .

here's the direct link to 2.0.3.

http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/minix/2.0.3/

good luck