The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Newer copies of SysV?
@ 2003-06-21 23:39 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-06-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,
I just received this from Sebastien Loisel. I don't have any recent
SysV sources, but I though I'd pass this on to the mailing list in
case anybody else can help Sebastien.

	Warren

----- Forwarded message from "S. Loisel" <loisel at math.mcgill.ca> -----

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:44:21 -0400
From: "S. Loisel" <loisel@math.mcgill.ca>
Subject: System V
To: wkt at tuhs.org

Hello,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm interested in the current Unix debacle.
I'm diffing linux kernel sources against Unix sources, and I've written
a program to do that efficiently, but I'm afraid that what Unix sources
I can locate aren't actually relevant (I've been using what I can find
at minnie.tuhs.org...)

I know that a lot of people have the correct sources and that they were
even available for download on the web, so I was wondering if you could
hook me up somehow?

I'm a researcher at McGill university in Montreal
(http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/) and I would only be using that
source code for research. I intend to diff the files and then provide a
list of similar files, and I hope to quote the common portions (assuming
they are short enough for "fair use.")

If you can't help me, can you tell me someone who could?

Thank you very much,

Sebastien Loisel
----- End forwarded message -----

* [TUHS] Newer copies of SysV?
@ 2003-06-23 20:18 ` Matthew Crosby
From: Matthew Crosby @ 2003-06-23 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Solaris is derived from Sys V, and the source is readily available to
educational institutions.  It could be a help...  (though I warn you, they
kernel in particular has a changed a LOT from stock Sys V)

Remember that vanilla sys V source is still nominally under NDA for whoever
has it, so I wouldn't bet on getting it...

--
Matthew Crosby                                         mcrosby at marthon.org
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

* [TUHS] Newer copies of SysV?
@ 2003-06-23 20:30   ` Sebastien Loisel
From: Sebastien Loisel @ 2003-06-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the information. I've already started asking around at McGill
university for licenses, archives and such.

Sebastien Loisel