The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 4.3BSD User Contributed Software Volume?
@ 2023-06-17 19:37 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-06-17 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Hello, I've come across something in a bookshelf up at the local university that I have thus far been unsuccessful at locating online.

It's a binder amongst other 4.3BSD binders like the reference manuals and supplementary documents but this one is labeled "User Contributed Software (UCS)".  I can't find any of these in the doc folder of the 4.3BSD copies in the archive nor can I find a scan of the originals.  There is an overview at the start listing the following packages:  B, X, ansi (VAX tape tools), apl, bib, courier, cpm, dipress, dsh, emacs, enet, help, hyper, icon, jove, kermit, mh, mkmf, mmdf, news, notes, npl00, patch, path alias, rcs, rn, spms, sumacc, sunrpc, tac, tools, umodem, and xns.

There are a preponderance of man pages as well as some focused papers for B, SPMS, the Icon programming language, and MMDFII.  I didn't scribble down more notes before heading home because I figured this was something I'd find on page one of an internet search, but thus far have had no luck.  If I don't turn up a digital copy soon I might just have to make another trip up there soon with my flatbed scanner.  In any case I left a note too hoping whoever the curator of that bookshelf is (it was in some club room) might have the scoop on those binders, if they're left over from some long gone 4.3BSD installation in the EE/CS department and if they might have some siblings in other bookshelves nearby.

- Matt G.

* [TUHS] Re: 4.3BSD User Contributed Software Volume?
@ 2023-06-17 20:23 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2023-06-17 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023, segaloco via TUHS wrote:

> It's a binder amongst other 4.3BSD binders like the reference manuals
> and supplementary documents but this one is labeled "User Contributed
> Software (UCS)".  I can't find any of these in the doc folder of the
> 4.3BSD copies in the archive nor can I find a scan of the originals.
> There is an overview at the start listing the following packages:  B,
> X, ansi (VAX tape tools), apl, bib, courier, cpm, dipress, dsh, emacs,
> enet, help, hyper, icon, jove, kermit, mh, mkmf, mmdf, news, notes,
> npl00, patch, path alias, rcs, rn, spms, sumacc, sunrpc, tac, tools,
> umodem, and xns.

Is this the same as the docs found in

4.3bsd /new
4.3BSD-Tahoe /new
4.3BSD-Reno /src/share/doc/ucs

csrg-archives/disk1/mnt/4.3/usr/contrib
csrg-archives/disk2/mnt/4.3reno/usr/src/share/doc/ucs/
csrg-archives/disk2/mnt/4.3tahoe/usr/src/new/

I found docs for kermit, umodem, sumacc, and others.

* [TUHS] Re: 4.3BSD User Contributed Software Volume?
@ 2023-06-17 20:37   ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2023-06-17 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023, segaloco via TUHS wrote:
> > It's a binder amongst other 4.3BSD binders like the reference manuals
> > and supplementary documents but this one is labeled "User Contributed
> > Software (UCS)".  I can't find any of these in the doc folder of the
> > 4.3BSD copies in the archive nor can I find a scan of the originals.
> > There is an overview at the start listing the following packages:  B,
> > X, ansi (VAX tape tools), apl, bib, courier, cpm, dipress, dsh, emacs,
> > enet, help, hyper, icon, jove, kermit, mh, mkmf, mmdf, news, notes,
> > npl00, patch, path alias, rcs, rn, spms, sumacc, sunrpc, tac, tools,
> > umodem, and xns.

Also see
4.3BSD-Reno src/share/doc/ucs/Cover

csrg-archives/disk2 4.3reno/usr/src/share/doc/ucs/Cover

.TL
User Contributed Software
.LP
The subtree /usr/src/new contains programs contributed by the user
community.  The following software is included:
.DS
.TS
center, box;
l l l.
Directory       Description     Contributor(s)
_

The Makefile above it says: # index, iso, and ucs aren't done yet

* [TUHS] Re: 4.3BSD User Contributed Software Volume?
@ 2023-06-17 20:48     ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-06-17 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy C. Reed; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Gah, that's the one.  I was just looking in /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc, didn't realize there were also copies down in the source tree with different contents.  Okay cool so this is accounted for, good, thanks for pointing that out Jeremy!  I just need to start grepping instead of doing a shallow search in the interface, I have all these sources in a local stash anyway, I need to put that cache to better use.

- Matt G.

@ 2023-06-18  1:07 ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2023-06-18  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Jun 17, 2023 at 07:37:55PM +0000, segaloco via TUHS wrote:
> Hello, I've come across something in a bookshelf up at the local
> university that I have thus far been unsuccessful at locating online.
>
> It's a binder amongst other 4.3BSD binders like the reference manuals
> and supplementary documents but this one is labeled "User Contributed
> Software (UCS)".  I can't find any of these in the doc folder of
> the 4.3BSD copies in the archive nor can I find a scan of the
> originals.  There is an overview at the start listing the following
> packages:  B, X, ansi (VAX tape tools), apl, bib, courier, cpm,
> dipress, dsh, emacs, enet, help, hyper, icon, jove, kermit, mh,
> mkmf, mmdf, news, notes, npl00, patch, path alias, rcs, rn, spms,
> sumacc, sunrpc, tac, tools, umodem, and xns.

Al Kossow scanned the Mt Xinu version including that page
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_mtXinuMTXI_25102566/page/n1/mode/2up
https://bitsavers.org/pdf/mtXinu/MT_XINU_UCS_Apr_1986.pdf