The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] "hacker caught" paper
@ 2017-11-10  9:55 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-11-10  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to find a paper. It was written at Bell Labs,
I thought by Bill Cheswick (though I cannot find it in his name),
entitled something like:

	"A hacker caught, and examined"

A description of how a hacker got into Bell labs, and was quarintined on
a single workstation whilst the staff watched what they did.

Does this ring any bells? Anyone have a link?

I know about the Cuckoo's egg, but this was a paper, in troff and -ms macros
as I remember, not a book.

Thanks,

-Steve

* [TUHS] "hacker caught" paper
@ 2017-11-10  9:56 ` Alec Muffett
       [not found]   ` <CAJfiPzyrMGesAMP6n4YV+K8vpJPAfccVUM=T=rpakeMDob7xmA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alec Muffett @ 2017-11-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.cheswick.com/ches/papers/berferd.pdf ?

    -a

--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm
-------------- next part --------------

* [TUHS] "hacker caught" paper
@ 2017-11-10 10:04 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-11-10 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve Simon" <steve at quintile.net> wrote:

> I am trying to find a paper. It was written at Bell Labs,
> I thought by Bill Cheswick (though I cannot find it in his name),
> entitled something like:
>
> 	"A hacker caught, and examined"
>
> A description of how a hacker got into Bell labs, and was quarintined on
> a single workstation whilst the staff watched what they did.
>
> Does this ring any bells? Anyone have a link?
>
> I know about the Cuckoo's egg, but this was a paper, in troff and -ms macros
> as I remember, not a book.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Steve

I remember the story and reading about it; maybe it was even one of
the CSTRs. So you're not imagining things.

Ches?

Arnold

* [TUHS] "hacker caught" paper
       [not found]   ` <CAJfiPzyrMGesAMP6n4YV+K8vpJPAfccVUM=T=rpakeMDob7xmA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-11-10 15:58     ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-11-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 November 2017 at 10:50, Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 November 2017 at 04:56, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.cheswick.com/ches/papers/berferd.pdf ?
>
> Wonderful!  I first read this as an appendix in his book and now I
> know a second edition of the book is out.
>
> N.

Egg on my face (and keyboard): (1) I failed to send this to the list;
and (2) I already have both editions.

Apologies, all, especially to Alec.

N.

* [TUHS] "hacker caught" paper
@ 2017-11-10 16:18   ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-11-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got a chill up my spine as I hit the section where it mentioned the
username "adrian".

Then I realized that the timeframe was off. I was out of the hacker
business a few years before that.

But the name "adrian" reminds me of something I can't put my finger on.
Oh well.

art k.