The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] PDP-7 Unix: The B compiler works
@ 2016-03-23 19:28 Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-03-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

We've got the B compiler working. Robert Swierczek gets all the credit.
Cheers, Warren

@ ls -l .
00004 drwr- 04 777 00050 dd
00003 drwr- 03 777 00340 system
00046 srwr- 01 014 00130 b_readme
00047 lrwr- 01 014 04065 bi.s
00050 lrwr- 01 014 02016 bl.s
00051 srwr- 01 014 00073 hello.b
00052 lrwr- 01 014 03450 ops.s
00045 drwr- 02 014 00110 .

@ cat hello.b
main $(
  write('He');
  write('ll');
  write('o,');
  write(' W');
  write('or');
  write('ld');
  write('!*n');
$)

@ bc hello.b hello.s
@ as ops.s bl.s hello.s bi.s
II
ops.s
bl.s
hello.s
bi.s

@ a.out
Hello, World!

* [TUHS] PDP-7 Unix: The B compiler works
@ 2016-03-23 22:02 ` Dario Niedermann
From: Dario Niedermann @ 2016-03-23 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il 23/03/2016 alle 20:28, Warren Toomey ha scritto:

> @ bc hello.b hello.s

This must have been before the `bc' calculator's birth!

* [TUHS] PDP-7 Unix: The B compiler works
@ 2016-03-24  6:50 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-03-24  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wowsers!  Good work.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24  9:01 ` Warren Toomey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-03-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 05:28:20AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> We've got the B compiler working.

And now we're working on ed, which assembles and runs, but has bugs.

This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints characters
in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.

I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to
use a real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).

Cheers, Warren

P.S Linux/BSD version preferred of course.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 10:21   ` Pierre DAVID
From: Pierre DAVID @ 2016-03-24 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 07:01:31PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 05:28:20AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> We've got the B compiler working.
>
>And now we're working on ed, which assembles and runs, but has bugs.
>
>This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
>simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints characters
>in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.
>
>I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to
>use a real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
>
>Cheers, Warren
>
>P.S Linux/BSD version preferred of course.

It's not exactly what you asked for, but you can try:

     http://www.masswerk.at/google60/

Keyboard and printer "clak" as you wished, and there is a typewriter-ish
font.

Pierre

P.S.: no need for a sorter, with this program.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 11:00     ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-03-24 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes there is an emulator for the Mac that does both glass tty emulation with smearing fuzzy chats etc. and ASR33.  I'll have to do some digging through the old email.  To find the pointer.

My memory is its a small dollars and my open source.  Clem

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2016-03-24 11:01       ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-03-24 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Btw. It does not emulate the smell of small machine oil or the mess of ppt punch chaff on the floor

😉
Sent from my iPhone

@ 2016-03-24 16:37   ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-03-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-03-24 10:01, Warren Toomey wrote:
> This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
> simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints
> characters
> in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.

I hacked a terminal emulator to look like it once.
Fired up the browser running javascript, running jor1k,
running linux, running simh, running a v6 install.
http://dugo.home.xs4all.nl/ksr33.png for the result.

I kept the pipes that shouldn't be there on a
standard print head. Speed was controlled by
simh settings.

I reverted to the standard jor1k emulator for
the v6 demo[1] because I have no experience or
other reference for exactly how a KSR-33
exactly works and lacked the bandwidth to
even implement overstrike.

I saw one in a contest that emulated the sounds
and the moving parts at:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=41373
with source at:
https://bitbucket.org/slash_slashware/jsteletype/src

[1]
http://www.oldbsd.org/unixv6install.html
watch out, it is slow and runs on a limited set
of browsers.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 21:39       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-03-24 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

check out:  http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode/

I'll keep looking for the ASR33 and IBM 2780 emulators.

Clem

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> Yes there is an emulator for the Mac that does both glass tty emulation
> with smearing fuzzy chats etc. and ASR33.  I'll have to do some digging
> through the old email.  To find the pointer.
>

> My memory is its a small dollars and my open source.  Clem
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> >> And now we're working on ed, which assembles and runs, but has bugs.
> >>
> >> This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
> >> simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints
> characters
> >> in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.
> >>
> >> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to
> >> use a real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
> >>
> >> Cheers, Warren
> >>
> >> P.S Linux/BSD version preferred of course.
> >
> > It's not exactly what you asked for, but you can try:
> >
> >    http://www.masswerk.at/google60/
> >
> > Keyboard and printer "clak" as you wished, and there is a typewriter-ish
> > font.
> >
> > Pierre
> >
> > P.S.: no need for a sorter, with this program.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25  2:18   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-03-25  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Warren Toomey wrote:

> This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
> simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints
> characters in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.

There are no such things as strange requests here :-)  Anyway, I've just
posted a request to the RTTY list; I'll post back any results.

> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
> real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).

My first time was the ASR-33 on the mighty PDP-8...

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25  3:18         ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2016-03-25  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an emulator for the 132 column line printer anywhere?
I'd like to take a file (complete with FORTRAN carriage control) and turn it
into an image (PNG or whatever), supporting overstrikes.

On my bucket list is to convert my collection of image tapes from the
1970s, intended to be printed on an lpr, cut into strips, and taped
together, into images suitable for a laser printer or a normal monitor.

What font did a typical IBM mainframe printer use, anyway?

     Mary Ann

@ 2016-03-25  3:43     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2016-03-25  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 25 March 2016 at 13:18:52 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
>> real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
>
> My first time was the ASR-33 on the mighty PDP-8...

Here too.  And my co-student Dave Snell had prepared me for it: "You
won't *believe* how fast this thing (tty) is!"  Even then (30 October
1969, the day the first packet went over the ARPAnet) I was
underwhelmed.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
> Is there an emulator for the 132 column line printer anywhere?
> I'd like to take a file (complete with FORTRAN carriage control) and turn
it
> into an image (PNG or whatever), supporting overstrikes.

Maybe start with
http://urbanjost.altervista.org/LIBRARY/libCLI/EXE/ASA/html/asa2pdf_doc.html

-- Charles

@ 2016-03-25  5:59     ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-03-25  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-03-25 03:18, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
>> real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
>
> My first time was the ASR-33 on the mighty PDP-8...

Reminds me of WinEight, my first time on an emulator that looked
like an ASR-33 http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Software/WinEight.htm

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25 20:13             ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2016-03-25 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)