The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Charles Babbage!
@ 2017-12-25 23:58 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-12-25 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Babbage KH FRS was born on this day in 1791; pretty much the
father of the computer, a model of his "difference engine" built to the
standards of the day worked, complete with its printer.  What is not so
well known about him was that he dabbled in cryptography, and broke the
Vigenère cipher; unfortunately for him it was classified as a military
secret, so one Friedrich Kasiski got the credit instead.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Charles Babbage!
@ 2017-12-26  0:21 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-12-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-12-26 10:58, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Charles Babbage KH FRS was born on this day in 1791

Did 20th century pioneers such as von Neumann and Zuse know about Babbage?

To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Charles Babbage!
@ 2017-12-26  3:01   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-12-26  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Charles Babbage KH FRS was born on this day in 1791
>
> Did 20th century pioneers such as von Neumann and Zuse know about
> Babbage?

Probably; I have no idea.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Charles Babbage!
@ 2017-12-26  8:55     ` Otto Moerbeek
From: Otto Moerbeek @ 2017-12-26  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 02:01:04PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> > > Charles Babbage KH FRS was born on this day in 1791
> >
> > Did 20th century pioneers such as von Neumann and Zuse know about
> > Babbage?
>
> Probably; I have no idea.
>
> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

This gives some hints:

https://cstheory.stackexchange.com/questions/10828/the-relation-between-babbage-and-von-neumann

	-Otto

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Charles Babbage!
@ 2017-12-26 22:46       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-12-26 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

[ Whether von Neumann knew of Babbage ]

> https://cstheory.stackexchange.com/questions/10828/the-relation-between-babbage-and-von-neumann

Fascinating; thanks!