The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] The birth of the Z3
@ 2018-05-11 22:21 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-05-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Way back on this day in 1941, Conrad Zuse unveiled the Z3; it was the
first programmable automatic computer as we know it (Colossus 1 was not
general-purpose).  The last news I heard about the Z3 was that she was
destroyed in an air-raid...

This pretty much started computing, as we know it.

-- Dave

* [TUHS] The birth of the Z3
@ 2018-05-13 21:30 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-05-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > Their is a open question about the need to support self modifying code
    > too. I personally don't think of that as important as the need for
    > conditional instructions which I do think need to be there before you
    > can really call it a computer.

Here's one way to look at it: with conditional branching, one can always
write a program to _emulate_ a machine with self-modifying code (if that's
what floats your boat, computing-wise) - because that's exactly what older,
simple microcoded machines (which don't, of course, have self-modifying code
- their programs are in ROM) do.

	Noel