The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Posted a video on installing and running v7
@ 2023-07-16  2:06 Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-07-16  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Hi All,

I got some questions recently about getting v7 working, so I fired up
OBS to create a video walkthrough of the install process and first steps
(it's basically following my v7 note, but hey some folks dig video). The
video is totally amateur hour, but it was fun. I never get tired of
logging in as dmr, writing hello.c, running cc, running hello and watch
the magic of

hello, world

appear on "screen".

As a reminder - the note (and thus, the video) walks the user through
installing OpenSIMH (including pdp11), building a tape image, installing
to disk from tape, booting off the disk, building and using a DZ-11 as a
telnet listener on 16 lines, adding a user, running learn, and piddly
stuff like setting baud, delays, and such. Not a lot of hand-holding,
but some.

When I get around to it, I'll probably update the note to add additional
test environments (I'm pretty sure it works anywhere OpenSIMH does, but
some folks like to see there system or one kinda like it in the list of
tested systems). I'm running LMDE5 and Debian 12 Bookworm these days, so
I know they work there in addition to pretty much any Linux Mint, MX
Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS, etc.

I'm still in awe of Hayle and Ritchie's Setting Up Unix - Seventh
Edition as the basis of my note - 44 y.o. and counting... for holding up
so well.

The blog:
https://decuser.github.io

The blog post:
https://decuser.github.io/unix/research-unix/v7/videos/2023/07/14/installing-and-using-research-unix-v7-in-open-simh-video.html

The note blog post:
https://decuser.github.io/unix/research-unix/v7/2022/10/28/installing-and-using-research-unix-v7-in-open-simh-pdp-11-45-and-70-emulators-rev-3.1.html

Later,

Will

* [TUHS] Re: Posted a video on installing and running v7
@ 2023-07-23 10:15 ` Marcus Clark
From: Marcus Clark @ 2023-07-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Thanks Will, for an interesting video on setting up and using Unix v7 in OpenSIMH.

I usually follow your blog post instructions, which are always clear and accurate, but it was nice to have a video version.

You mention different systems you have tested it on, and I can confirm it all works fine on Slackware Linux 15.0 and -current with no problems.

Marcus.

@ 2023-07-23 14:10   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-07-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Clark, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society