The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Who stated that the power of Unix stems from the wise choice of a few design principles rather than the endless accumulation of special cases
@ 2023-07-10 11:18 Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2023-07-10 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I seem to recall reading that the power of Unix stems from the wise
choice of a few design principles rather than the endless accumulation
of special cases.  However, I cannot find where this is stated.  I tried
a Google web and a Google Scholar search using the terms "unix endless
accumulation special cases", and I also asked ChatGPT for a publication
associated with this phrase.  I also searched for "special" in
D.M.Ritchie's "The Evolution of the Unix Time-sharing System"  and "The
UNIX Time-sharing System\x14 A Retrospective".  (Amazingly, both have
several parts that still highly relevant.)

Can anyone help?  Am I misremembering something?

* [TUHS] Re: Who stated that the power of Unix stems from the wise choice of a few design principles rather than the endless accumulation of special cases
  2023-07-10 11:18 [TUHS] Who stated that the power of Unix stems from the wise choice of a few design principles rather than the endless accumulation of special cases Diomidis Spinellis
@ 2023-07-10 11:40 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-07-10 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, dds

Try looking at the original 1974 CACM paper on Unix by Ken & DMR.
I suspect you'll find something like that there.

HTH,

Arnold