The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] maybe off-topic: Unix on a microcontroller
@ 2018-06-16 19:24 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-06-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    > It's a separate image (/netnix) that gets loaded at boot time, but it's
    > run in the context of the kernel.

ISTR reading that it runs in Supervisor mode (no doubt so it could use the
Supervisor mode virtual address space, and not have to go crazy with overlays
in the Kernet space).

Never looked at the code, though.

	Noel

* Re: [TUHS] maybe off-topic: Unix on a microcontroller
@ 2018-06-17 10:27 ` Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS @ 2018-06-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS

Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> ISTR reading that it runs in Supervisor mode (no doubt so it could use the
> Supervisor mode virtual address space, and not have to go crazy with overlays
> in the Kernet space).

Indeed.  From "Installing and Operating 2.11BSD on the PDP-11":

    The networking in 2.11BSD runs in supervisor mode, separate from
    the mainstream kernel.  There is room without overlaying to hold
    both a SL/IP and ethernet driver.  This is a major win, as it
    allows the networking to maintain its mbufs in normal data
    space, among other things.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] maybe off-topic: Unix on a microcontroller
       [not found] <mailman.1.1529200802.30486.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2018-06-17  9:36 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2018-06-17  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2018-06-17 04:00, jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu  (Noel Chiappa) wrote:
>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>
>      > It's a separate image (/netnix) that gets loaded at boot time, but it's
>      > run in the context of the kernel.
>
> ISTR reading that it runs in Supervisor mode (no doubt so it could use the
> Supervisor mode virtual address space, and not have to go crazy with overlays
> in the Kernet space).

Yes. That rings a bell now that you mention it. Pretty sure you are correct.

	Johnny

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books

* Re: [TUHS] maybe off-topic: Unix on a microcontroller
       [not found] <mailman.1.1529114402.31005.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2018-06-16 19:13 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2018-06-16 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2018-06-16 04:00, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo<tih@hamartun.priv.no> wrote:
> Warner Losh<imp@bsdimp.com>  writes:
>
>> It looks like retrobsd hasn't been active in the last couple of years
>> though. A cool accomplishment, but with some caveats. All the network
>> is in userland, not the kernel, for example.
> Isn't 2.11BSD networking technically in userland?  I forget.  Johnny?

No, networking in 2.11BSD is not in userland. But it's not a part of
/unix either. It's a separate image (/netnix) that gets loaded at boot
time, but it's run in the context of the kernel.

I'd have to go and check this if anyone wants details. It's been quite a
while since I was fooling around inside there. Or maybe someone else
remembers more details on how it integrates.

   Johnny

@ 2018-06-15 19:12       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-06-15 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@hamartun.priv.no>
wrote:

> Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
>
> > It looks like retrobsd hasn't been active in the last couple of years
> > though. A cool accomplishment, but with some caveats. All the network
> > is in userland, not the kernel, for example.
>
> Isn't 2.11BSD networking technically in userland?  I forget.  Johnny?

It looks to be integrated into the kernel.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] maybe off-topic: Unix on a microcontroller
@ 2018-06-15 19:09     ` Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS @ 2018-06-15 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-06-15 14:25   ` Warner Losh