The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] V6: 50 bugs tape
@ 2002-12-24  7:55 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2002-12-24  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

someone on this list mentioned a '50 bugs tape', which contains bug fixes
to Unix V6. Is this list somewhere in the archive?

Thank you,

Wolfgang

* [TUHS] V6: 50 bugs tape
@ 2002-12-26  9:34 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-12-26  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Wolfgang Helbig:
> Hi,
> someone on this list mentioned a '50 bugs tape', which contains bug fixes
> to Unix V6. Is this list somewhere in the archive?
> Thank you,
> Wolfgang

The mythical `50 bugs' tape, described in Peter Salus' book `A Quarter
Century of UNIX' has been found lurking in the Unix Archive. You can
find it in PDP-11/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz as the file
usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes.

	[ from the updates file at the top of the Unix Archive :-) ]

Warren

* [TUHS] V6: 50 bugs tape
@ 2002-12-27 19:47   ` Mirian Crzig Lennox
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox @ 2002-12-27 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 19:34:23 +1000 (EST), Warren Toomey <wkt at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>In article by Wolfgang Helbig:
>> Hi,
>> someone on this list mentioned a '50 bugs tape', which contains bug fixes
>> to Unix V6. Is this list somewhere in the archive?
>> Thank you,
>> Wolfgang
>
>The mythical `50 bugs' tape, described in Peter Salus' book `A Quarter
>Century of UNIX' has been found lurking in the Unix Archive. You can
>find it in PDP-11/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz as the file
>usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes.

Minor nitpick: it's actually in
Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz (no PDP-11 at the beginning).

cheers,
--Mirian

* [TUHS] V6: 50 bugs tape
@ 2002-12-27 20:58 ` Mirian Crzig Lennox
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox @ 2002-12-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

This reminds me that I fixed a couple of "bugs" (some outright bugs,
and some mere behaviours which I didn't quite like) in playing with my
V6/simh environment, and I'm wondering if there is a place I should
submit them in case others might be interested.  The bugs I've fixed
so far include:

    * Compensated for the ldiv bug in ctime().

    * Fixed date to allow setting the century in the year.

    * Changed df to read /etc/mtab, rather than use a hard-coded
      list of filesystems.

    * Mkfs wasn't always initialising the 'ino' variable properly,
      leading to inconsistent behaviour.  Initialised to zero.

    * Stopped the ps command printing garbage in the COMMAND field
      of process 0.

Some other modifications I've made which bring V6 more in line with
what a seasoned Unix hacker might wish for:

    * Changed the shell to allow "cd" as well as "chdir".

    * For the mount command, added a -f options for 'fake' mounts
      which update /etc/mtab without actually mounting a filesystem.
      (useful for putting the root filesystem in the mtab)

    * Implemented the inverse operation for the umount command.

    * Changed getty and login command to make the default "erase"
      character be octal 10 rather than hash mark.

    * Changed the stty command to additionally allow setting "erase"
      and "kill" characters by their octal codes.

If any of these would be considered interesting, I would be only too
happy to release patches.  I'll doubtless have more, as well, as I
press on.

My eventual goal is to come up with a 6th edition UNIX which is quite
usable, while still being recognisable as 6th edition.

cheers!
--Mirian

* [TUHS] Re: Patches to improve 6th Edition
@ 2002-12-27 21:55   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-12-27 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Mirian Crzig Lennox:
> This reminds me that I fixed a couple of "bugs" (some outright bugs,
> and some mere behaviours which I didn't quite like) in playing with my
> V6/simh environment, and I'm wondering if there is a place I should
> submit them in case others might be interested. [ .. ]
>
> If any of these would be considered interesting, I would be only too
> happy to release patches.  I'll doubtless have more, as well, as I
> press on.
>
> My eventual goal is to come up with a 6th edition UNIX which is quite
> usable, while still being recognisable as 6th edition.
> --Mirian

Mirian, I'll definitely make a place somewhere in the Unix Archive
for your work.

	Warren

P.S Does anybody want to backport vi to 6th & 7th Edition?! :-)

* [TUHS] Re: Patches to improve 6th Edition
@ 2002-12-28  2:43     ` Greg Haerr
From: Greg Haerr @ 2002-12-28  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> P.S Does anybody want to backport vi to 6th & 7th Edition?! :-)

Isn't the problem here that vi is quite a bit bigger than
64k I+D?  I can probably dig up some small subset
versions that I got running on the ELKS project (x86 Linux).

Regards,

Greg