Void Linux discussion
* Latest kernel issue - mouse pointer dissapeared on login screen
@ 2015-06-06  6:13 Frankie Wild
From: Frankie Wild @ 2015-06-06  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I have this odd situation with the latest kernel 4.0.4_1 where my mouse
cursor doesn't show anymore.

Previous kernels in between 3.18.1_2 and the latest one are failing to load
graphics so I am using the first one mentioned for now.

Not too familiar with error logs so if anyone else faces it and can direct
me which logs to pull out I will provide more information.

The machine is Thinkpad E530 with Optimus Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT635M.

* Re: Latest kernel issue - mouse pointer dissapeared on login screen
@ 2015-06-06 11:34 ` Stefan Mühlinghaus
From: Stefan Mühlinghaus @ 2015-06-06 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I am not very familliar with the Optimus technology, but I assume the Intel
card is exposed by default. To use the Nvidia card you will probably need
to setup bumblebee, unless you can "switch" both cards in your BIOS.

Did you install the xf86-video-intel package? If not try that first,
otherwise this article <https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82948>
in the ArchLinux forum might help you.

* Re: Latest kernel issue - mouse pointer dissapeared on login screen
@ 2015-06-06 13:06   ` Frankie Wild
From: Frankie Wild @ 2015-06-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I have the xf86-video-intel package installed since initial installation of
the system, the weirdest thing is the cursor became invisible after one of
the latest kernel updates and doesn't occur with old kernels(3.18 and
before).

Thanks Stefan, I will investigate the suggested roads.

@ 2015-06-09 22:40 ` Cassie B
From: Cassie B @ 2015-06-09 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I can confirm this as well.  Even went to do a reinstall since the lastest
live iso does not have the issue, after updating invisible mouse issue is
back.

@ 2015-06-10  5:52   ` Frankie Wild
From: Frankie Wild @ 2015-06-10  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I can also narrow down it happens only with the 4.x kernels. I am currently
using 3.19.8_1 as this is the latest one before the issue happens.

@ 2015-06-21 20:04     ` archtard
From: archtard @ 2015-06-21 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Issue resolved with latest xf86-video-intel
<https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/tree/master/srcpkgs/xf86-video-intel>,
for me anyways.

@ 2015-06-24  7:04       ` Frankie Wild
From: Frankie Wild @ 2015-06-24  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)