Void Linux discussion
* Thoughts on sources
@ 2015-03-25 11:19 JD Robinson
From: JD Robinson @ 2015-03-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I am wondering everyone's thoughts on a source repository or if someone could point me in the right direction regarding how to compile an application.

I know this has been asked before, so my apologies.

I am just wondering if its possible to xbps-src .... and recomplie the entire operating sytem. I'm having some issues with hardware sensors and have jumped though numerous loops to no avail. I would like to try to compile a kernel module or two and get them loaded to see if that helps.

* Re: Thoughts on sources
@ 2015-03-25 12:32 ` Stefan Mühlinghaus
From: Stefan Mühlinghaus @ 2015-03-25 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Your question is a little vague.

   - If you want to build existing packages from source xbps-src is the way
   to go. For pointers on how to do that check the void-packages readme
   <https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/README.md>.
   - If you want to create your own packages take a look at the manual
   <https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/Manual.md> on
   github.
   - To create packages for kernel modules you might want to take a look at
   the existing DKMS-packages like broadcom-wl-dkms
   <https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/tree/master/srcpkgs/broadcom-wl-dkms>
   or zfs
   <https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/tree/master/srcpkgs/zfs>.

I sincerely doubt that you will have to recompile the entire system though
:)

* Re: Thoughts on sources
@ 2015-03-26  8:20   ` JD Robinson
From: JD Robinson @ 2015-03-26  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I thought so on the kernel modules.

I'll give those links a look, I'm trying to figure out how to come by the source from which a pre-existing binary package was compiled/packaged.

Not being in void very long, in apt/bed repositories it would have been a source repository and somepackage-version-src.deb ( or what have you for the extension ).

I haven't had time to experiment lately.

* Re: Thoughts on sources
@ 2015-03-26  8:47     ` Juan RP
From: Juan RP @ 2015-03-26  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux