Void Linux discussion
* parted on Void Linux livecd xfce4
@ 2015-04-21  1:34 Zach Lewis
From: Zach Lewis @ 2015-04-21  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I'm trying to do an install using the XFCE4 live image, however, parted is
not available.

According to the wiki (here:
https://github.com/voidlinux/documentation/wiki/Installer-Partitioning)
parted should be available for partitioning purposes.

I've tried using cfdisk, but I do not believe it plays well with gpt.

Is parted not being on the live versions intentional?

* Re: parted on Void Linux livecd xfce4
@ 2015-04-21  5:22 ` Juan RP
From: Juan RP @ 2015-04-21  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

this wiki page is obsolete. cfdisk from util-linux-2.25 supports GPT just
fine, so that there's no need
to depend on parted anymore.

Cheers

* Re: parted on Void Linux livecd xfce4
@ 2015-09-13 18:45   ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2015-09-13 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Hey. I'm having trouble with cfdisk and GPT.
I've tried a bunch of things, but I'm completely lost and I can't find any
answers elsewhere.

Firstly this is what my cfdisk looks like. http://i.imgur.com/WtAXxgv.png
(this is an example, I have the /boot/efi partition and the / partition
here when I actually try. That or whatever partition or type I add/change
to experiment)
I haven't seen a tutorial or example with their menu like this.

On the screen before entering the tool I've read this
http://i.imgur.com/9KdfoN9.png but how do I toggle that partition as
bootable?
Nothing happens when I press b and I don't even have a boot column like in
other examples.

When I do try it I get an error installing GRUB.
http://i.imgur.com/M9XExWy.png
And when I use alt+F8 to check the error I see something like this.
http://i.imgur.com/c20v9rv.png
Where I tend to focus in on "there is no BIOS boot partition"

I've tried setting the boot partition as "BIOS Boot" type and it "works" in
that the installation completes, but then when I try booting the VM I get
"GRUB _" frozen on the screen. Nothing happens.
May I please get some guidance here? I really want to test out and get used
to Void before installing it on my Thinkpad later. I'm quite an amateur so
sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

@ 2015-09-24 17:48     ` Jonathan
From: Jonathan @ 2015-09-24 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux