Development discussion of WireGuard
* Rolling keys without service interuption
@ 2017-12-02  2:45 Ferris Ellis
From: Ferris Ellis @ 2017-12-02  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I was wondering if WireGuard supported dynamically updating / rolling keys f=
or connections? In many operations security models credentials are short liv=
ed and rotated regularly so that the consequences of any compromise can be m=
inimized. One problem, however, with this is that rolling credentials often c=
auses a service interrupt for the connection being rolling. Does WireGuard h=
ave a way to do this currently?

I wanted to ask the mailing list about this both for my own knowledge and fo=
r public documentation. Though, I presume the answer is no as WireGuard uses=
 the keys as identity primitives for connections (which I think is the most h=
onest means of relating identity to authorization) and thus =E2=80=9Crolling=
=E2=80=9D them makes no sense.

Cheers,
Ferris