Development discussion of WireGuard
* Starting tunnels without being admin on Windows
@ 2020-02-15 17:42 Lars Bonnesen
From: Lars Bonnesen @ 2020-02-15 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi. Based on a recent chat on IRC, I was suggested to discuss the idea of
having non-administrative users use Wireguard.

The issue was the same with OpenVPN which I have been using until now. I
want to be able to distribute a VPN configuration as an administrator to a
non-administrative user so that he(/she) can initiate a tunnel on his own.

It seems I can't do this with the current version of Wireguard, as I am
told to run the GUI from a desktop logged in as an administrator.

Regards, Lars.

* Re: Starting tunnels without being admin on Windows
@ 2020-02-15 19:41 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-02-15 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can manipulate the wireguard tunnel service using the ordinary
windows service management utilities and command line tools. If you
want to create an unprivileged method for doing that, nothing is
stopping you. If you want to use the GUI manager that we ship, you can
only do that from an administrator desktop, but I doubt you'd want to
open a utility that powerful up to non-administrators.

* Re: Starting tunnels without being admin on Windows
@ 2020-02-16 10:25   ` Eicke Herbertz
From: Eicke Herbertz @ 2020-02-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason; +Cc: wireguard

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 86 bytes --]

What's stopping the GUI from being accessible via "Run as
administrator", though?

From: Eicke Herbertz @ 2020-02-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason; +Cc: wireguard