Development discussion of WireGuard
* Fwd: WireGuard Mailling List
       [not found] <20230719091342.789107a9@parrot>
@ 2023-07-19  7:18 ` Dmitry Vyukov
From: Dmitry Vyukov @ 2023-07-19  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was asked to forward this to the list because the author has
problems reaching it.
It looks legit:

From: Wang Jian @ 2023-07-23 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Vyukov

I don't know the origin of the Wireguard logo, but it seems to be a 蛟
 (Jiao, pronounced j-ee-au), not a 龙 (Long)

The differences between Long (know as Chinese dragon) and Jiao is
* Jiao has 2 small straight horns or no horn at all while Long has 2 bigger
  and forky horns
* Long has beard while Jiao has no beard
* Jiao has snake like tail while Long has fish like tail (with round fin)
* Long has 4 claws while Jiao has only 2 claws (foreclaws), but this feature
  is usually misused.

Generally, Jiao is upgraded/developed snake living in rivers; Long is
upgraded/developed Jiao living in the sea, and Long can fly into the sky.

Of course you can call the logo  wireguard dragon as you wish.

Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com> 于2023年7月19日周三 15:22写道:

> Hi,
>
> I was asked to forward this to the list because the author has
> problems reaching it.
> It looks legit:

* Re: WireGuard Mailling List
@ 2023-07-23 16:00     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2023-07-23 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/23, Wang Jian <larkwang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know the origin of the Wireguard logo, but it seems to be a 蛟
>  (Jiao, pronounced j-ee-au), not a 龙 (Long)
>
> The differences between Long (know as Chinese dragon) and Jiao is
> * Jiao has 2 small straight horns or no horn at all while Long has 2 bigger
>   and forky horns
> * Long has beard while Jiao has no beard
> * Jiao has snake like tail while Long has fish like tail (with round fin)
> * Long has 4 claws while Jiao has only 2 claws (foreclaws), but this
> feature
>   is usually misused.
>
> Generally, Jiao is upgraded/developed snake living in rivers; Long is
> upgraded/developed Jiao living in the sea, and Long can fly into the sky.
>
> Of course you can call the logo  wireguard dragon as you wish.

It is absolutely none of those things at all. Please stop speculating
and keep discussions on this here technical.

* Re: WireGuard Mailling List
@ 2023-07-23 16:27       ` Laura Smith
From: Laura Smith @ 2023-07-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is absolutely none of those things at all. Please stop speculating
> and keep discussions on this here technical.

I mean, the speculating muppets couuld have at least Googled it !

For the record, for people who are too lazy to Google Jason already answered the question: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/hzyu8j/comment/fznp3md/