Development discussion of WireGuard
* Building module on Mint on 5.4 kernels: fatal 'make' errors
@ 2020-01-24 14:50 Nicholas Joll
From: Nicholas Joll @ 2020-01-24 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before.

I have Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, which is based upon Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver). The last few weeks have seen multiple updates to Wireguard arrive for that system. However, a problem has persisted through those updates. To wit: the Wireguard module will not build on kernels >= 5.4. Rather, I get these errors (the following being a link to the make.log):

https://app.box.com/s/nnr5vpeookt4ea3b6mho0ktyptp5fa0p

With kernels < 5.4, everything works.

I have wireguard-dkms 0.0.20200121-wg2~18.04.

Yours

NJ

* Re: Building module on Mint on 5.4 kernels: fatal 'make' errors
@ 2020-02-07 11:25 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-02-07 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems to be a Mint DKMS problem maybe? Are they shipping clang but
building kernels with gcc, or vice versa?

* Re: Building module on Mint on 5.4 kernels: fatal 'make' errors
@ 2020-02-07 12:13   ` Nicholas Joll
From: Nicholas Joll @ 2020-02-07 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

On 07/02/2020 11:25, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:

> Seems to be a Mint DKMS problem maybe? Are they shipping clang but building kernels with gcc, or vice versa?

    I don't know. But I found a working solution, on the web
(https://github.com/xanmod/linux/issues/33), which was this:

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:savoury1/gcc-defaults-9
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I notice also that - after I'd done that - Wireguard has been updated
recently to build without a 'dev' package; perhaps that would fix the
problem too.

Yours

Nicholas

PS: at present I do not read email from this list; I send this message
to the list only because requested (via my private email address) so to do.

* Re: Building module on Mint on 5.4 kernels: fatal 'make' errors
@ 2020-02-07 13:19   ` Ilie Halip
From: Ilie Halip @ 2020-02-07 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

My guess is you're installing the kernel from the Ubuntu PPA,
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline, is that right?

I can reproduce this build error with a fresh 5.4.6 kernel. Turns out, these
kernels are built with a newer GCC (9.2.1). As such, the kernel's generated
headers have CONFIG_CC_HAS_ASM_INLINE=1. But your GCC (probably 7.4.0? that's
what I have on Mint 19.3 machine) doesn't support this feature.

I installed GCC 9 from a PPA and was able to build the module manually:
    $ KERNELRELEASE=5.4.6-050406-generic
KERNELDIR=/home/ihalip/Projects/wireguard/kernels/ubuntu/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.6-050406-generic
make CC=gcc-9
      MODPOST 1 modules
      CC [M]  /home/ihalip/Projects/wireguard/wireguard-linux-compat/src/wireguard.mod.o
      LD [M]  /home/ihalip/Projects/wireguard/wireguard-linux-compat/src/wireguard.ko

I imagine you'd see the same issue building any out-of-tree kernel module.

I.H.