Development discussion of WireGuard
* [WireGuard] openwrt package - kernel >4.1 vs freifunk gluon
@ 2016-07-08 16:39 jens
From: jens @ 2016-07-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

in Freifunk gluon there is actually the kernel 3.18.29 used,
(Freifunk . in case you dont know is a loosly very bog free wifi
community in germany with something around 35000 TP Link routers which
connect to master servers with different technology (like fastd l2tp ..)

if i want to build the package i got this obvious error ... kernel 4.1
or higher needed.

Now i am wondering if its better to wait for newer freifunk-gluon
packages with latest kernel

(which could be some time) or go hacky steps towards patching the kernel.

in gluon are actually 120+- patches for the actual kernel, many of them
would be obsolete then i think, but it seems like a heck of work todo

any suggestion ?
https://forum.freifunk.net/t/wireguard-als-zukuenftige-vpn-loesung/12858/13?u=fuzzle
https://github.com/freifunk-gluon/gluon/issues/816

--
make the world nicer, please use PGP encryption

* Re: [WireGuard] openwrt package - kernel >4.1 vs freifunk gluon
@ 2016-07-08 17:23 ` Baptiste Jonglez
From: Baptiste Jonglez @ 2016-07-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens; +Cc: wireguard

Hi Jens,

Glad to see that you found the OpenWRT package.

Unfortunately, Wireguard uses the udptunnel infrastructure, so it would be
difficult to port to kernels <4.1.  See this previous discussion:

  https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2016-July/000097.html

Baptiste

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 06:39:38PM +0200, jens wrote:
> in Freifunk gluon there is actually the kernel 3.18.29 used,
> (Freifunk . in case you dont know is a loosly very bog free wifi
> community in germany with something around 35000 TP Link routers which
> connect to master servers with different technology (like fastd l2tp ..)
>
> if i want to build the package i got this obvious error ... kernel 4.1
> or higher needed.
>
> Now i am wondering if its better to wait for newer freifunk-gluon
> packages with latest kernel
>
> (which could be some time) or go hacky steps towards patching the kernel.
>
> in gluon are actually 120+- patches for the actual kernel, many of them
> would be obsolete then i think, but it seems like a heck of work todo
>
> any suggestion ?
> https://forum.freifunk.net/t/wireguard-als-zukuenftige-vpn-loesung/12858/13?u=fuzzle
> https://github.com/freifunk-gluon/gluon/issues/816

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [WireGuard] openwrt package - kernel >4.1 vs freifunk gluon
@ 2016-07-08 17:49 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
       [not found]   ` <e616fa70-8055-b039-4968-aa219efd3c87@posteo.de>
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2016-07-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jens,

I probably could port this to earlier kernels. I did this at some
point. But meh, I'd rather not. See if you can upgrade your own
kernel. It'll be better for things in the long run.

Jason

@ 2016-07-08 18:55     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2016-07-08 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Jens Viisauksena <viisauksena@posteo.de> wrote:
> totally agree - like i feel with some hacky turnarounds by my side ..
>
> i try to speak to some auf the main gluon developers - to find some more
> information about timing of kernel 4.xy

Cool. Let me know what you find out.