Development discussion of WireGuard
* Linux counter_validate() RFC6479 replay detection modifies bitmap before authentication?
@ 2023-04-20 19:58 Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2023-04-20 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello all,

I am trying to understand a few details in WireGuard protocol, looking
at the Linux kernel WireGuard implementation if I am unsure about the
description from the paper. One question I have:

Does counter_validate() in the receive path update the bitmap from the
Type 4 counter (their_counter) before the received Type 4 packet was
authenticated?

Regards,

Leon.

* Re: Linux counter_validate() RFC6479 replay detection modifies bitmap before authentication?
@ 2023-04-22 12:03 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2023-04-22 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Woestenberg; +Cc: wireguard

On 4/20/23, Leon Woestenberg <leon@sidebranch.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to understand a few details in WireGuard protocol, looking
> at the Linux kernel WireGuard implementation if I am unsure about the
> description from the paper. One question I have:
>
> Does counter_validate() in the receive path update the bitmap from the
> Type 4 counter (their_counter) before the received Type 4 packet was
> authenticated?

No, it happens after authentication. Otherwise that'd be a real DoS vector.