Development discussion of WireGuard
* Wireguard not working in conjunction with G Data Firewall
@ 2023-12-19 13:12 Norbert Schmidt
From: Norbert Schmidt @ 2023-12-19 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

I've had problems using the Wireguard Client 0.5.3 on a Windows 10 with
G Data Total Security installed. The connection is working. A ping to a
remote host is working too, sometimes a SMB connection works but HTTP or
HTTPS traffic is not coming through.

I wrote to the G Data support an received this answer which I would like
to share with you (translated):

     "There are fundamental incompatibilities between the G DATA
Firewall and the use of the WireGuard VPN protocol. We believe this is
due to the initialization of the WireGuard connection parameters.

     As a workaround, it should be possible to temporarily disable the
firewall, then establish the VPN connection, and then re-enable the
firewall."

I then asked for a fix and got the following reply:

"We understand your reaction, but the functionality you are referring to
is not a frequently requested change and the required modifications
would be extensive."

I believe this functionality is frequently needed but if G Data is not
willing to change something, maybe the problem can be fixed on the
wireguard client side...

Best regards

Norbert Schmidt

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-12-20  5:55 UTC | newest]