Development discussion of WireGuard
* Latest Gentoo WireGuard Ebuilds Doesn't Work
@ 2017-08-08  0:17 Konstantin
From: Konstantin @ 2017-08-08  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi guys,

I have issues upgrading WireGuard on my Gentoo servers. I tried
different kernels and latest WireGuard versions without any luck.

When I type wg command I got only the "interface" portion:

interface: wg0
   public key: PUkm5fRn25hbv9Zh2tetny3tV3l9WnbxvIFeZTSd9BM=
   private key: (hidden)
   listening port: 58800

without any peer block below.

Latest WireGuard version that still works for me was 0.0.20170214 but I
can't find these sources anymore and I need to upgrade to a new kernel.

According to kernel requirements (here
https://www.wireguard.com/install/#kernel-requirements
  ) I understand that need to have a certain options enables.

My current kernel 4.9.34 config has:
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_NET_UDP_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLKCIPHER=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLKCIPHER2=y
CONFIG_PADATA=y

Yes, some of these modules are not built-in but I had it the same way
earlier when it worked with kernel 4.4.39.

When I'm loading the wireguard.ko module and setting wg interface
configuration I don't see any error but not even a single packet leaves
a server interface towards the peer. What am I missing here? How can I
debug it?

Thank you.

--
BR,
Konstantin

* Re: Latest Gentoo WireGuard Ebuilds Doesn't Work
@ 2017-08-08 22:22 ` Konstantin
From: Konstantin @ 2017-08-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

On 2017-08-07 17:17, Konstantin wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have issues upgrading WireGuard on my Gentoo servers. I tried
> different kernels and latest WireGuard versions without any luck.
>
> When I type wg command I got only the "interface" portion:
>
> interface: wg0
>   public key: PUkm5fRn25hbv9Zh2tetny3tV3l9WnbxvIFeZTSd9BM=
>   private key: (hidden)
>   listening port: 58800
>
> without any peer block below.
>
> Latest WireGuard version that still works for me was 0.0.20170214 but
> I can't find these sources anymore and I need to upgrade to a new
> kernel.
>
> According to kernel requirements (here
> https://www.wireguard.com/install/#kernel-requirements
>  ) I understand that need to have a certain options enables.
>
> My current kernel 4.9.34 config has:
> CONFIG_NET=y
> CONFIG_INET=y
> CONFIG_NET_UDP_TUNNEL=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLKCIPHER=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLKCIPHER2=y
> CONFIG_PADATA=y
>
> Yes, some of these modules are not built-in but I had it the same way
> earlier when it worked with kernel 4.4.39.
>
> When I'm loading the wireguard.ko module and setting wg interface
> configuration I don't see any error but not even a single packet
> leaves a server interface towards the peer. What am I missing here?
> How can I debug it?
>
> Thank you.

For the record I want to explain what was the problem and how it was
solved. I haven't noticed that in the old configuration file the same
pair of keys were used for both sides. And new WG version doesn't allow
to use it that way. Obviously it was a wrong configuration which
apparently works using an old WG version. That's it. Thank you!

--
Konstantin