zsh-users
* Re: How come this list gets so many goddamn viruses!?
       [not found] <20020919163642.CNUZ1202.mta016.verizon.net@mx2.domaindiscover.com>
@ 2002-09-19 17:19 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-09-19 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users (E-mail)

On Sep 19, 12:32pm, Hall Jeffrey S NPRI wrote:
}
} Is there anything that can be done to stop this plaque of viruses?

The best thing would be if the list server installed some virus filtering.
It looks as if Geoff's archival software filters them, as they don't show
up on http://www.zsh.org/mla/.

I personally don't see them because I have my own filters (in fact, I see
Dan Nelson has posted one of my procmail recipes) but it would be better
if they didn't eat up article numbers.

Has anybody had any luck getting ahold of an admin at sunsite.dk recently?

* Re: How come this list gets so many goddamn viruses!?
@ 2002-09-20  6:44 ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-09-20  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hall Jeffrey S NPRI; +Cc: Zsh-Users (E-mail)

# HallJS@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil / 2002-09-19 12:32:28 -0400:
> Is there anything that can be done to stop this plaque of viruses?

    Plaque of viruses? I don't think I've spotted a single one. But
    then, I have

    roman@freepuppy ~ 1005:0 > grep -FIr /dev/null .mail/maildrop|wc -l
          52

> I'm on the verge of unsubscribing to this list.

    How about making a contribution to minimizing the amount by using a
    better MUA? :)

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
This is not an attachment.

* Re: How come this list gets so many goddamn viruses!?
@ 2002-09-19 17:37 ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2002-09-19 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hall Jeffrey S NPRI; +Cc: Zsh-Users (E-mail)

    Hi Hall :)

> Is there anything that can be done to stop this plaque of viruses?

    Yes, use an OS immune to them instead of Windows.

> I'm on the verge of unsubscribing to this list.

    You can use too an spam trap yourself. I think (just MHO) that is
better not to 'censor' messages comming to the list and let the user
apply any filter they want. There are lots of RBL for filter spam if
you want to (but surely you will end up filtering good mail too), and
a good bunch of OS'es are immune to mail viruses: NetBSD, FreeBSD,
Solaris, Linux, etc...

    Raúl

* Re: How come this list gets so many goddamn viruses!?
@ 2002-09-19 16:59 ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2002-09-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hall Jeffrey S NPRI; +Cc: Zsh-Users (E-mail)

In the last episode (Sep 19), Hall Jeffrey S NPRI said:
> Is there anything that can be done to stop this plaque of viruses?
> I'm on the verge of unsubscribing to this list.

I find it amazing that so many people subscribed to a list dedicated to
a Unix shell use Outlook :)  (and don't run a virus scanner)

The following procmail rule will filter out klez, based on its size,
the fact that there's always an audio or application/octet-stream
attachment, always has an html page with an iframe, and has mangled
MIME headers.

:0 Bh
* > 50000
* ^Content-Type:[ 	]*(audio/x-|application)
* 1^0 ()<i?frame[ 	]*src=(3d)?cid:
* 1^0 ^--[^ ]+$$Content-
virus

[ 	] is a bracket, a space, and a tab, in case you're
cut'n'pasting.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* How come this list gets so many goddamn viruses!?
@ 2002-09-19 16:32 Hall Jeffrey S NPRI
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hall Jeffrey S NPRI @ 2002-09-19 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users (E-mail)