zsh-users
* ulimit strangeness
@ 2002-11-13 11:26 jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2002-11-13 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

even in zsh cvs from today I get the following strange behaviour:

ulimit -v $[200*1024]
ulimit -v
---> output  200

top
---> zsh crashes

This on a machines with more than 1Gb physical memory.

Thanks for any hints,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

* Re: ulimit strangeness
@ 2002-11-14 16:43 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-11-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jarausch, zsh-users

On Nov 13, 12:26pm, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
}
} even in zsh cvs from today I get the following strange behaviour:
}
} ulimit -v $[200*1024]

Hmm:

zsh% ulimit -v $[200*1024]; limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       8MB
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
maxproc         2040
descriptors     1024
memorylocked    unlimited
addressspace    200kB		<-- Note, not 200 megabytes!

(boom, zsh crashes)

On my machine zsh crashes instantly in tcgetattr() [a system library call]
while attempting to zwarn("fatal error: out of heap memory").  Just before
the ulimit call, `ps' shows `zsh -f' to be using 1900k+ of virtual memory,
so 200k is definitely not going to cut it.

Compare:

zsh% ulimit -s $[200*1024]; limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       200MB		<-- This one is correct
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
maxproc         2040
descriptors     1024
memorylocked    unlimited
addressspace    unlimited

It looks like this has something to do with the convoluted #ifdef that
prevents duplicate case labels in rlimits.c when both RLIMIT_RSS and
RLIMIT_VMEM are defined, but I haven't yet figured out what to fix.