zsh-users
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* zstat
@ 2022-05-03 14:25 zzapper
  2022-05-03 14:54 ` zstat Bart Schaefer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: zzapper @ 2022-05-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

Hi

I have zstat on my system (mint) & works just fine.

 > zstat daily.log

But I don't remember how/if I installed or configured it.

I don't have it if I run

 > zsh -f



e.g. I don't have this zmodload -F zsh/stat in my .zsh* configs


Q1) Can you help

Q2) How do you find out where you might have configured an zsh add-on etc


zzapper



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-03 14:25 zstat zzapper
@ 2022-05-03 14:54 ` Bart Schaefer
  2022-05-03 15:11   ` zstat zzapper
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-05-03 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I have zstat on my system (mint) & works just fine.
>
> I don't have it if I run
>
>  > zsh -f
>
> e.g. I don't have this zmodload -F zsh/stat in my .zsh* configs

And presumably you also don't have zmodload without the -F.

> Q1) Can you help

That remains to be seen.

> Q2) How do you find out where you might have configured an zsh add-on etc

Place this in your .zshenv:

function zmodload() { builtin zmodload "$@" }
functions -T zmodload

This should print a trace each time zmodload is run.  (If it doesn't,
check that you haven't changed $ZDOTDIR)

Then run

zsh -o sourcetrace

which traces one line for every file read with the "source" or "."
commands.  Between the two you should be able to see exactly where
zsh/stat is coming from.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-03 14:54 ` zstat Bart Schaefer
@ 2022-05-03 15:11   ` zzapper
  2022-05-03 15:57     ` zstat Peter Stephenson
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: zzapper @ 2022-05-03 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh-Users List


On 03/05/2022 15:54, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Place this in your .zshenv:
>
> function zmodload() { builtin zmodload "$@" }
> functions -T zmodload
>
> This should print a trace each time zmodload is run.  (If it doesn't,
> check that you haven't changed $ZDOTDIR)
>
> Then run
>
> zsh -o sourcetrace
>
> which traces one line for every file read with the "source" or "."
> commands.  Between the two you should be able to see exactly where
> zsh/stat is coming from.
Bart

function zmodload() { builtin zmodload "$@" }
functions -T zmodload

I guess the following  generically loads anything in zsh/files ?


+zmodload:0> zmodload -F zsh/files b:zf_chown b:zf_mv b:zf_rm


zzapper



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-03 15:11   ` zstat zzapper
@ 2022-05-03 15:57     ` Peter Stephenson
  2022-05-03 16:34       ` zstat zzapper
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2022-05-03 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

> On 03 May 2022 at 16:11 zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
> function zmodload() { builtin zmodload "$@" }
> functions -T zmodload
> 
> I guess the following  generically loads anything in zsh/files ?
> 
> +zmodload:0> zmodload -F zsh/files b:zf_chown b:zf_mv b:zf_rm

No, if you consult the manual page you'll see that's exactly what
it doesn't do.

-F is for features, so you're explicitly loading just those three
builtins, zf_chown, zf_mv, zf_rm from zsh/files, and nothing else.

pws


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-03 15:57     ` zstat Peter Stephenson
@ 2022-05-03 16:34       ` zzapper
  2022-05-04  0:36         ` zstat Bart Schaefer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: zzapper @ 2022-05-03 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users


On 03/05/2022 16:57, Peter Stephenson wrote:
>> On 03 May 2022 at 16:11 zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>> function zmodload() { builtin zmodload "$@" }
>> functions -T zmodload
>>
>> I guess the following  generically loads anything in zsh/files ?
>>
>> +zmodload:0> zmodload -F zsh/files b:zf_chown b:zf_mv b:zf_rm
> No, if you consult the manual page you'll see that's exactly what
> it doesn't do.
>
> -F is for features, so you're explicitly loading just those three
> builtins, zf_chown, zf_mv, zf_rm from zsh/files, and nothing else.
>
> pws
>
then bart's other suggestion reveals:-


 > zsh -o sourcetrace
+/home/david/.zshenv:1> <sourcetrace>
+/home/david/.zshrc:1> <sourcetrace>
+/home/david/.zcompdump:1> <sourcetrace>
+/home/david/key-bindings.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
+/usr/local/bin/plugin/z/zsh-z.plugin.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
+/usr/local/bin/plugin/alias-tips/alias-tips.plugin.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-03 16:34       ` zstat zzapper
@ 2022-05-04  0:36         ` Bart Schaefer
  2022-05-04  6:43           ` zstat zzapper
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-05-04  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 9:34 AM zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>  > zsh -o sourcetrace
> +/home/david/.zshenv:1> <sourcetrace>
> +/home/david/.zshrc:1> <sourcetrace>
> +/home/david/.zcompdump:1> <sourcetrace>
> +/home/david/key-bindings.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
> +/usr/local/bin/plugin/z/zsh-z.plugin.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
> +/usr/local/bin/plugin/alias-tips/alias-tips.plugin.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>

What do you get from

zsh -ic 'whence -v zstat'

??


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04  0:36         ` zstat Bart Schaefer
@ 2022-05-04  6:43           ` zzapper
  2022-05-04  7:18             ` zstat Bart Schaefer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: zzapper @ 2022-05-04  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Users


On 04/05/2022 01:36, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 9:34 AM zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>>   > zsh -o sourcetrace
>> +/home/david/.zshenv:1> <sourcetrace>
>> +/home/david/.zshrc:1> <sourcetrace>
>> +/home/david/.zcompdump:1> <sourcetrace>
>> +/home/david/key-bindings.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
>> +/usr/local/bin/plugin/z/zsh-z.plugin.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
>> +/usr/local/bin/plugin/alias-tips/alias-tips.plugin.zsh:1> <sourcetrace>
> What do you get from
>
> zsh -ic 'whence -v zstat'
>
> ??
> zsh -ic 'whence -v zstat'
> zstat is a shell builtin
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04  6:43           ` zstat zzapper
@ 2022-05-04  7:18             ` Bart Schaefer
  2022-05-04  9:31               ` zstat david rayner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-05-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 11:43 PM zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > zsh -ic 'whence -v zstat'
> > zstat is a shell builtin

Hm.  Well, if making zmodload a function didn't uncover it, then it's
time to bring out the big guns:

disable zmodload

(in ~/.zshenv) and look for the errors.

If zstat still shows up after that, it's either being loaded from
/etc/zshenv, or zsh has been compiled with zstat as an autoloadable
builtin, both of which seem unlikely since you said it's not there for
"zsh -f".


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04  7:18             ` zstat Bart Schaefer
@ 2022-05-04  9:31               ` david rayner
  2022-05-04  9:49                 ` zstat Roman Perepelitsa
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: david rayner @ 2022-05-04  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users


On 04/05/2022 08:18, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 11:43 PM zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> zsh -ic 'whence -v zstat'
>>> zstat is a shell builtin
> Hm.  Well, if making zmodload a function didn't uncover it, then it's
> time to bring out the big guns:
>
> disable zmodload
>
> (in ~/.zshenv) and look for the errors.
>
> If zstat still shows up after that, it's either being loaded from
> /etc/zshenv, or zsh has been compiled with zstat as an autoloadable
> builtin, both of which seem unlikely since you said it's not there for
> "zsh -f".
>

# OK I have now 'deleted' my .zshrc  (kept a copy of course)

# I get the following 'odd' behaviour

If I start a new gnome terminal I have zstat

mint-HP-600B% zstat

zstat: no files given


# but if i reload zsh

mint-HP-600B% zsh
mint-HP-600B% zstat

zsh: command not found: zstat

So this has falsified my testing as I have always launched a new terminal

# confused.com

zzapper




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04  9:31               ` zstat david rayner
@ 2022-05-04  9:49                 ` Roman Perepelitsa
  2022-05-04 12:09                   ` zstat david rayner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2022-05-04  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david rayner; +Cc: Zsh Users

> # OK I have now 'deleted' my .zshrc  (kept a copy of course)
>
> # I get the following 'odd' behaviour
>
> If I start a new gnome terminal I have zstat
>
> mint-HP-600B% zstat
>
> zstat: no files given
>
>
> # but if i reload zsh
>
> mint-HP-600B% zsh
> mint-HP-600B% zstat
>
> zsh: command not found: zstat

Which terminal are you using?

There are several terminals out there that inject extra initialization
code into the shell that they spawn. This initialization code usually
runs between global and user zshenv and is meant to enable tighter
integration between the terminal and the shell. In practice all such
code has side effects and can leak or break things. The terminals I'm
aware of that do this are Kitty, Integrated Visual Studio Terminal,
Integrated IntelliJ Terminal, Warp, and Fig. When you manually run
`zsh` in a terminal of this kind, the new shell won't run the extra
initialization code.

Roman.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04  9:49                 ` zstat Roman Perepelitsa
@ 2022-05-04 12:09                   ` david rayner
  2022-05-04 12:26                     ` zstat zzapper
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: david rayner @ 2022-05-04 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Perepelitsa; +Cc: Zsh Users


On 04/05/2022 10:49, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
>> # OK I have now 'deleted' my .zshrc  (kept a copy of course)
>>
>> # I get the following 'odd' behaviour
>>
>> If I start a new gnome terminal I have zstat
>>
>> mint-HP-600B% zstat
>>
>> zstat: no files given
>>
>>
>> # but if i reload zsh
>>
>> mint-HP-600B% zsh
>> mint-HP-600B% zstat
>>
>> zsh: command not found: zstat
> Which terminal are you using?
>
> There are several terminals out there that inject extra initialization
> code into the shell that they spawn. This initialization code usually
> runs between global and user zshenv and is meant to enable tighter
> integration between the terminal and the shell. In practice all such
> code has side effects and can leak or break things. The terminals I'm
> aware of that do this are Kitty, Integrated Visual Studio Terminal,
> Integrated IntelliJ Terminal, Warp, and Fig. When you manually run
> `zsh` in a terminal of this kind, the new shell won't run the extra
> initialization code.
>
> Roman.

Just the standard Mint 'Gnome Terminal' I guess I used chsh -s zsh to 
make zsh default

zzapper



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04 12:09                   ` zstat david rayner
@ 2022-05-04 12:26                     ` zzapper
  2022-05-04 13:21                       ` zstat Peter Stephenson
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: zzapper @ 2022-05-04 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users


>> Roman.
>
> Just the standard Mint 'Gnome Terminal' I guess I used chsh -s zsh to 
> make zsh default
>
> zzapper
>
>
# the following gives me zstat

autoload -U compinit && compinit -i


~ > zsh -f
~ > zstat
zsh: command not found: zstat
~ > autoload -U compinit && compinit -i
~ > zstat
zstat: no files given

zzapper



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: zstat
  2022-05-04 12:26                     ` zstat zzapper
@ 2022-05-04 13:21                       ` Peter Stephenson
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2022-05-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> On 04 May 2022 at 13:26 zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
> # the following gives me zstat
> 
> autoload -U compinit && compinit -i

Looks like that's probably from compaudit.  There are lots
of other completions that appear to load zstat for their
own use, too.  The thing in compaudit could probably run
in a subshell, at the expense of some complexity passing
back names, but I don't know how worth while that is.

pws


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-05-04 13:22 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 13+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2022-05-03 14:25 zstat zzapper
2022-05-03 14:54 ` zstat Bart Schaefer
2022-05-03 15:11   ` zstat zzapper
2022-05-03 15:57     ` zstat Peter Stephenson
2022-05-03 16:34       ` zstat zzapper
2022-05-04  0:36         ` zstat Bart Schaefer
2022-05-04  6:43           ` zstat zzapper
2022-05-04  7:18             ` zstat Bart Schaefer
2022-05-04  9:31               ` zstat david rayner
2022-05-04  9:49                 ` zstat Roman Perepelitsa
2022-05-04 12:09                   ` zstat david rayner
2022-05-04 12:26                     ` zstat zzapper
2022-05-04 13:21                       ` zstat Peter Stephenson

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.vuxu.org/mirror/zsh/

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).