zsh-users
* Zle hooks besides zle-line-init, zle-line-finish, paste-insert
@ 2016-02-04  9:40 Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2016-02-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Hello,
what Zle hooks are there besides these three: zle-line-init,
zle-line-finish, paste-insert ?

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski

* Re: Zle hooks besides zle-line-init, zle-line-finish, paste-insert
@ 2016-02-04  9:50 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2016-02-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 10:40:26 +0100
Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> what Zle hooks are there besides these three: zle-line-init,
> zle-line-finish, paste-insert ?

Look at "Special Widgets" in the zshzle manual.

pws

* Re: Zle hooks besides zle-line-init, zle-line-finish, paste-insert
@ 2016-02-04 10:22   ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2016-02-04 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Users

On 4 February 2016 at 10:50, Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 10:40:26 +0100
> Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> what Zle hooks are there besides these three: zle-line-init,
>> zle-line-finish, paste-insert ?
>
> Look at "Special Widgets" in the zshzle manual.

Thanks I missed this because after finding first "zle-line-init", I
then always followed to look for "hook" keyword :S And there is no
paste-insert there at all, curious.

@ 2016-02-04 15:12     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2016-02-04 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Feb 4, 11:22am, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
}
} Thanks I missed this because after finding first "zle-line-init", I
} then always followed to look for "hook" keyword :S And there is no
} paste-insert there at all, curious.

Generally speaking the hooks are for things that don't already involve
direct widget actions.  If there's already a widget for something, e.g.
bracketed-paste, you are expected to just redefine the widget.  It's
true that this isn't as flexible as, say, emacs "advice", because it
is difficult for multiple different applications to co-opt the same
widgets.

Detecting pastes at all in the shell is a tricky business.