zsh-users
* RE: wrong LINES, COLUMNS
@ 2003-04-26  9:08 koen.van_hoo1
From: koen.van_hoo1 @ 2003-04-26  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi.Vainio, koen.van_hoo1; +Cc: zsh-users

Yes, it is on Solaris 2.6, but I don't know what patch it was.
I just sent this mail, so maybe somebody can apply my changes into the official sources.
I don't have the knowledgne nor the time to find out how to do it myself, that's why I sent it to the mailing list.
It's probably not so important, but I guess it's a little effort for somebody who knows the procedure.

-- Koen

koen.van_hoo1@skynet.be writes:

> Recently it did install some patches on our servers, which caused
> ioctl(SHTTY, TIOCGWINSZ, (char *)&shttyinfo.winsize)
> to return an error.
> In that case ws_row and ws_col in shttyinfo.winsize are set to 0 in Src/utils.c,
> and a lot off tools like vi, more, less, ... don't work properly anymore.

You didn't say which server you are talking about. Might it be
Solaris 2.6 and you installed latest kernel jumbo patch which has
identical problem you just described?

4843340 patch 105181-34 /kernel/strmod/ptem returns EINVAL for
TIOCGWINSZ ioctl

Tomppa

* RE: wrong LINES, COLUMNS
@ 2003-04-26 13:53 ` Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland
From: Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland @ 2003-04-26 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koen.van_hoo1; +Cc: zsh-users

koen.van_hoo1@skynet.be writes:

 > Yes, it is on Solaris 2.6, but I don't know what patch it was.
 > I just sent this mail, so maybe somebody can apply my changes into the official sources.
 > I don't have the knowledgne nor the time to find out how to do it myself, that's why I sent it to the mailing list.
 > It's probably not so important, but I guess it's a little effort for somebody who knows the procedure.

So this is not a zsh bug but your code could make zsh better product
:-)

Here are pointers to sun alert (53590) and bug (4843340) report
describing this problem.  You need sunsolve account to see these.
http://sunsolve.sun.com/private-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=bug%2Fkernel%2Fstreams%2F4843340&zone_32=4843340
http://sunsolve.sun.com/private-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=salert%2F53590&zone_32=4843340

  Tomppa

* wrong LINES, COLUMNS
@ 2003-04-25 15:28 ` Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland
From: Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland @ 2003-04-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koen.van_hoo1; +Cc: zsh-users

@ 2003-04-25 14:54 koen.van_hoo1
From: koen.van_hoo1 @ 2003-04-25 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

Recently it did install some patches on our servers, which caused
ioctl(SHTTY, TIOCGWINSZ, (char *)&shttyinfo.winsize)
to return an error.
In that case ws_row and ws_col in shttyinfo.winsize are set to 0 in Src/utils.c,
and a lot off tools like vi, more, less, ... don't work properly anymore.

If it was changed into
=======================================
#ifdef TIOCGWINSZ
    if (SHTTY == -1)
        return;
    if (ioctl(SHTTY, TIOCGWINSZ, (char *)&shttyinfo.winsize) == 0) {
        resetzle = (ttyrows != shttyinfo.winsize.ws_row ||
            ttycols != shttyinfo.winsize.ws_col);
        if (from == 0 && resetzle && ttyrows && ttycols)
        from = 1; /* Signal missed while a job owned the tty? */
        ttyrows = shttyinfo.winsize.ws_row;
        ttycols = shttyinfo.winsize.ws_col;
    } else {
        /* Set to unknown on failure */
        shttyinfo.winsize.ws_row = lines;
        shttyinfo.winsize.ws_col = columns;
        resetzle = from == 1;
    }
#else
    resetzle = from == 1;
#endif /* TIOCGWINSZ */
it is possible to set LINES and COLUMNS from the commandline, and have vi, less, more, ...
to work just fin.

-- Koen