zsh-users
* profile prompt rendering time
@ 2016-07-13 14:17 Filipe Silva
From: Filipe Silva @ 2016-07-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

short version: How can I profile each rendering of a zsh prompt?

long version: I've recently came across a plugin (rupa/z) that, when
installed, hit my zsh prompt rendering time by a noticeable amount.

When I say prompt rendering time, I'm not refering to amount of time that
it takes for the first zsh prompt to appear when I issue, for an example,
`exec zsh` (that is achieve by issuing `time zsh -i -c "print -n"`).

I'm talking about the time that it takes for zsh to give me another prompt
once that it is fully loaded. In other words, I want to achieve this:

~ $ ls (when i hit enter, start counting)
code/ notes/ file.txt
~ $ (stop counting when this prompt appears. show me elapsed time)

Is that a way to do that?

thanks in advance,

Filipe Silva