zsh-users
* Setting the 'completer' style — _match and **
@ 2016-09-12 23:30 Daniel Shahaf
       [not found] ` <160919074515.ZM28018__10595.0927398682$1474296416$gmane$org@torch.brasslantern.com>
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2016-09-12 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm trying to configure my zshrc such that:

1. The following —
.
    % mkdir -p html/generic.5.html man/man5/generic.5
    % : **/generic.*<TAB>
.
— offers both directories.

2. The following —
.
	% mkdir nntp-gmane
	% service *ntp*<TAB>
.
— offers "openntpd" but not "nntp-gmane".

I've come up with the following:
.
    bindkey $'\t' complete-word
    zstyle ':completion:*' completer _all_matches _match-ds _expand _complete _ignored
    _match-ds() {
      [[ $PREFIX$SUFFIX != *[*][*]* ]] && _match "$@"
    }
.
The idea is that if a pattern contains "**" then _match('s wrapper) will
leave it for _expand to process.

Is there another way to implement this?

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: Setting the 'completer' style - _match and **
@ 2016-09-19 14:45 ` Bart Schaefer
       [not found] ` <160919074515.ZM28018__10595.0927398682$1474296416$gmane$org@torch.brasslantern.com>
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2016-09-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 12, 11:30pm, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
}
} I've come up with the following:
} .
}     bindkey $'\t' complete-word
}     zstyle ':completion:*' completer _all_matches _match-ds _expand _complete _ignored
}     _match-ds() {
}       [[ $PREFIX$SUFFIX != *[*][*]* ]] && _match "$@"
}     }
} .
} The idea is that if a pattern contains "**" then _match('s wrapper) will
} leave it for _expand to process.
}
} Is there another way to implement this?

You could probably come up with a "zstyle -e" formulation that would only
include_match in the completer value in the right circurmstances.  I'm not
sure that's a better solution than yours.

I'll note in passing that _match is supposed to be used after _complete,
not before _expand. Might it be better to suppress the _expand completer
in the cases where you want _match rather than the other way around?

@ 2016-09-20  8:54   ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2016-09-20  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[ Your MUA seems to have changed the subject: your email has a hyphen
where the email you reply to had an em dash. ]

Bart Schaefer wrote on Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 07:45:15 -0700:
> On Sep 12, 11:30pm, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> }
> } I've come up with the following:
> } .
> }     bindkey $'\t' complete-word
> }     zstyle ':completion:*' completer _all_matches _match-ds _expand _complete _ignored
> }     _match-ds() {
> }       [[ $PREFIX$SUFFIX != *[*][*]* ]] && _match "$@"
> }     }
> } .
> } The idea is that if a pattern contains "**" then _match('s wrapper) will
> } leave it for _expand to process.
> }
> } Is there another way to implement this?
>
> You could probably come up with a "zstyle -e" formulation that would only
> include_match in the completer value in the right circurmstances.

How would I do that?  I think the "right circumstances" are [[ $curtag
== *(file|dir)* ]], but the 'completer' style is looked up under the
context :completion:::::, before tags are known.

I tried to workaround that by defining a compadd() wrapper function that
checks $curtag before calling the builtin compadd, but that caused
«: **/generic*<TAB>» to complete nothing.

> I'll note in passing that _match is supposed to be used after _complete,

The documentation says so too, but gives no rationale, and empirically
it works before _complete too.  Why should _match be later than _complete?

> not before _expand. Might it be better to suppress the _expand completer
> in the cases where you want _match rather than the other way around?

Perhaps I could do something like this:
.
    _match-ds2() {
        _match "$@"
        if that added no matches; then
          curcontext=${curcontext/:match-ds2:/expand}
          _expand "$@"
        fi
    }
.
where the condition is implemented using $? or $compstate[nmatches], and
remove _expand from the 'completer' style entirely.  I'll give this
a shot later.

I want _match basically everywhere; when I want _expand I can invoke it
directly with ^X* <expand-word>.  I even use _match as
.
    rsync -[ap]<TAB>
.
to get the description of the -p option without getting a screenful of
other options.

Thanks for the answer,

@ 2016-09-20 15:46     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2016-09-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 20,  8:54am, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
}
} [ Your MUA seems to have changed the subject: your email has a hyphen
} where the email you reply to had an em dash. ]

Sorry about that; mail to my home desktop passes through a number of
gateways and processing steps, some of which think non-ascii subjects
are potential spam indicators.

} > } The idea is that if a pattern contains "**" then _match('s wrapper) will
} > } leave it for _expand to process.
} >
} > You could probably come up with a "zstyle -e" formulation that would only
} > include_match in the completer value in the right circurmstances.
}
} How would I do that?  I think the "right circumstances" are [[ $curtag
} == *(file|dir)* ]], but the 'completer' style is looked up under the
} context :completion:::::, before tags are known.

I was thinking quite literally what you said about the pattern:

zstyle -e ':completion:*' completer \
  '[[ $PREFIX$SUFFIX == *[*][*]* ]] && reply=(... _expand ...) || \
    reply=(... _match ...)'

But you could add to the [[ ]] e.g. "&& $words[1] == service" (the
value of $service hasn't been set yet there either because it's a
feature of _complete).