zsh-users
* command not found: _arguments
@ 2017-05-17 19:06 Guilherme Furtado Pacheco
From: Guilherme Furtado Pacheco @ 2017-05-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm having trouble with completions for some commands. When I type vim and press tab I get this error:

➜ ~ vim _vim:101: command not found: _arguments
_vim:101: command not found: _arguments
_vim:101: command not found: _arguments

This also happens with other commands (like rm, cp, ls, cat, grep):

➜ ~ rm _rm:43: command not found: _arguments
_rm:43: command not found: _arguments
_rm:43: command not found: _arguments

But not with mv or cd for example.
One thing I discovered is that I after run zsh everything works just fine, but only for this session. When I open another zsh window I got the error again.
Looks like the _arguments wrapper function is not being defined.
Any idea of what could be causing the error or how to solve it?

Guilherme Furtado Pacheco
+55 48 996177277

* Re: command not found: _arguments
@ 2017-05-17 19:46 ` Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov (ZyX)
From: Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov (ZyX) @ 2017-05-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guilherme Furtado Pacheco, zsh-users

17.05.2017, 22:09, "Guilherme Furtado Pacheco" <guilherme.f.pacheco@gmail.com>:
> I'm having trouble with completions for some commands. When I type vim and press tab I get this error:
>
> ➜ ~ vim _vim:101: command not found: _arguments
> _vim:101: command not found: _arguments
> _vim:101: command not found: _arguments
>
> This also happens with other commands (like rm, cp, ls, cat, grep):
>
> ➜ ~ rm _rm:43: command not found: _arguments
> _rm:43: command not found: _arguments
> _rm:43: command not found: _arguments
>
> But not with mv or cd for example.
> One thing I discovered is that I after run zsh everything works just fine, but only for this session. When I open another zsh window I got the error again.
> Looks like the _arguments wrapper function is not being defined.
> Any idea of what could be causing the error or how to solve it?
>
> Guilherme Furtado Pacheco
> +55 48 996177277

I get similar problems after zsh update. Depending on the situation I either just do `exec zsh` (if I have no background jobs to keep) or run something like

    fpath=( ${fpath/5.1.1/5.2} )

(this is for update from 5.1.1 to 5.2).

* Re: command not found: _arguments
@ 2017-05-17 22:21   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2017-05-17 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On May 17, 10:46pm, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov (ZyX) wrote:
}
} 17.05.2017, 22:09, "Guilherme Furtado Pacheco" <guilherme.f.pacheco@gmail.com>:
} > I'm having trouble with completions for some commands.
}
} I get similar problems after zsh update.

If this were only an fpath problem, the error would more likely be

    zsh: _arguments: function definition file not found

Since it is "command not found" it means that some of the completion
functions are not being found by compinit.  Either compinit needs to be
re-run with the corrected fpath, or more likely the ~/.zcompdump file
has been incorrectly populated.

    rm ~/.zcompdump*

and then try starting up your shell again.  If the error persists, you
have somehow acquired a version mismatch between the zsh binary that is
being run and the functions library that has been installed.

What is the value of $SHELL in a shell where completion works compared
to one where it does not?