zsh-users
* How to bind ctrl-arrow to word jumping?
@ 1998-12-21  9:20 Falk Hueffner
From: Falk Hueffner @ 1998-12-21  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I have tried *lots* of ways to try to bind ctrl-arrow to word wise
jumping, and some actually worked, but then arrow alone also does word
jumping ;(. How can I do this, or, more generally, bind something to a
non-letter key with a modifier?

	Falk

* Re: How to bind ctrl-arrow to word jumping?
@ 1998-12-21 10:23 ` Bernd Eggink
From: Bernd Eggink @ 1998-12-21 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Falk Hueffner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried *lots* of ways to try to bind ctrl-arrow to word wise
> jumping, and some actually worked, but then arrow alone also does word
> jumping ;(. How can I do this, or, more generally, bind something to a
> non-letter key with a modifier?

Most probabely your keyboard produces the same characters whether or not
you press Ctrl with the arrow keys. There is no portable way to change
this, but on most systems you may change the keymaps (e.g., by using
'loadkeys' on Linux).

Regards / Gruß
    Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg

* Re: How to bind ctrl-arrow to word jumping?
@ 1998-12-21 12:52 ` Anthony Heading
From: Anthony Heading @ 1998-12-21 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Falk Hueffner, zsh-users

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 10:20:11AM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> I have tried *lots* of ways to try to bind ctrl-arrow to word wise
> jumping, and some actually worked, but then arrow alone also does word
> jumping ;(. How can I do this, or, more generally, bind something to a
> non-letter key with a modifier?

As Bernd said, the problem is that by the time the shell sees it, something
upstream will have normally have discarded the modifier because there isn't
a standard way to represent it.

If you can live with this only working under X, you might consider the
following in .Xdefaults or whatever:

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override\
        Ctrl<Key>Left: string(0xe2)\n\
        Ctrl<Key>Right: string(0xe6)

(assuming M-b and M-f do what you want: YMMV)

Anthony