zsh-users
* forward: UTF-8
@ 2001-12-17 16:35 Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2001-12-17 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:50:21 +0100
Subject: UTF-8
From: Olivier Verdier <Olivier.Verdier@mas.ecp.fr>
To: zsh@sunsite.dk

Hello!

I'm using Darwin and Mac OS X 10.1 together with zsh (zsh --version =
zsh 4.0.4 (powerpc-apple-darwin1.4)), and I can't figure out how to make
it work properly with UTF-8 encoding. All file names are indeed encoded
in UTF-8 on macintosh hard-disk (HFS+ format). I use a terminal which is
UTF-8 aware (apple Terminal.app). It works perfectly with
UTF-8-configured 'less' and 'vim' commands.

Some examples of misbehaviors:
1) a 'ls' command for "Téléchargement" gives "Te??e??hargement"
	*but* 'ls | less' gives "Téléchargement" if less is configured for
UTF-8
	so the output of 'ls' is correct, but is misinterpreted by the shell

2) completion doesn't work; if 'Télé' is on the directory, Té[tab] gives
nothing, but 'cd Télé' works...
	*moreover* 'cd Té' writes 'cd T@' on screen, but 'cd Té[tab]' turns
itself into 'cd Té'

3) 'cd Télé' together with the option 'printeightbit' prints correctly
the pwd; mkdir Télé works as expected.

All theses strange behaviors make me think that the solution is not so
far but still I can't find a way around.
Is there an easy way out, or is a complete refund of zsh necessary to
achieve the UTF-8 compatibility?

thank you for your help and for the excellent shell you provided to the
community!

regards,
	Olivier Verdier

http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp

* Re: forward: UTF-8
@ 2001-12-17 16:47 ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2001-12-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 2001-12-17 at 16:35 +0000, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Some examples of misbehaviors:
> 1) a 'ls' command for "Téléchargement" gives "Te??e??hargement"
> 	*but* 'ls | less' gives "Téléchargement" if less is configured for
> UTF-8
> 	so the output of 'ls' is correct, but is misinterpreted by the shell

How is the shell involved in displaying the output here?

[snip examples which show that zsh indeed doesn't seem to handle UTF-8,
 unsurprisingly]
--
Session Key (n.): Door key of a local bar.