zsh-users
* web page usability
@ 2002-02-27 13:48 Dominik Vogt
From: Dominik Vogt @ 2002-02-27 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Two suggestions to improve the usability of the zsh web page:

 1) Put the NEWS file on the web.  Helps a lot in finding out if
    you want to upgrade.
 2) It would be nice if you could download the mailing list
    archive in mail box format.  Since I'm not subscribed to the
    list I can't easily reply to any postings - I have to copy and
    paste the text into my mailer.  Being able to access the mails
    in standard mailbox format would help a lot.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: d.vogt@lifebits.de
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen

* Re: web page usability
@ 2002-02-27 14:17 ` Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2002-02-27 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Dominik Vogt wrote:

>  2) It would be nice if you could download the mailing list
>     archive in mail box format.  Since I'm not subscribed to the
>     list I can't easily reply to any postings - I have to copy and
>     paste the text into my mailer.  Being able to access the mails
>     in standard mailbox format would help a lot.

You can get them from http://www.zsh.org/mla/zsh-{uers,workers}/<number>
if they are young enough. Older ones get tar-gzipped in blocks of
hundred messages in the same directory.

Bye
  Sven

--
Sven Wischnowsky                          wischnow@berkom.de

* Re: web page usability
@ 2002-03-13 12:53 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2002-03-13 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Dominik Vogt

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 02:48:30PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Two suggestions to improve the usability of the zsh web page:
>
>  1) Put the NEWS file on the web.  Helps a lot in finding out if
>     you want to upgrade.

I've now put this on. I couldn't call the page News because that
is already taken so I called it "Release Notes". Let me know if
you have any better suggestions.

If I get around to it, I'll also add a features page with a table
comparing the various shells along the lines of what Felix was
asking for recently. Unless anyone else wants to volunteer?

Also on the subject of the web pages, can anyone convert the
favicon from a .png to a .ico without losing the transparency
(so that IE users get to see it and not just Mozilla users)? Or
can .ico only handle on-off transparency? Also, if anyone with
greater imagination or artistic talent than me wants to design
a better icon then please do so. For the benefit of anyone who
doesn't know what favicons are, they are just little images
that appear in the url bar or bookmarks list. IE finds them
by looking for favicon.ico on every web page it accesses (yuk)
while Mozilla uses a <link> tag. I've just used a blue `Z' on
the zsh web pages.

Oliver

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.

* Re: web page usability
@ 2002-03-13 13:08   ` Dominik Vogt
From: Dominik Vogt @ 2002-03-13 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:53:38PM +0000, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 02:48:30PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > Two suggestions to improve the usability of the zsh web page:
> >
> >  1) Put the NEWS file on the web.  Helps a lot in finding out if
> >     you want to upgrade.
>
> I've now put this on. I couldn't call the page News because that
> is already taken so I called it "Release Notes". Let me know if
> you have any better suggestions.

I think it's just fine the way it is now.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

@ 2002-03-13 23:30   ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2002-03-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users, Dominik Vogt

In the last episode (Mar 13), Oliver Kiddle said:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 02:48:30PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > Two suggestions to improve the usability of the zsh web page:
> >
> >  1) Put the NEWS file on the web.  Helps a lot in finding out if
> >     you want to upgrade.
>
> I've now put this on. I couldn't call the page News because that is
> already taken so I called it "Release Notes". Let me know if you have
> any better suggestions.
>
> If I get around to it, I'll also add a features page with a table
> comparing the various shells along the lines of what Felix was asking
> for recently. Unless anyone else wants to volunteer?
>
> Also on the subject of the web pages, can anyone convert the favicon
> from a .png to a .ico without losing the transparency (so that IE
> users get to see it and not just Mozilla users)? Or can .ico only
> handle on-off transparency? Also, if anyone with greater imagination
> or artistic talent than me wants to design a better icon then please
> do so. For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know what favicons are,
> they are just little images that appear in the url bar or bookmarks
> list. IE finds them by looking for favicon.ico on every web page it
> accesses (yuk) while Mozilla uses a <link> tag. I've just used a blue
> `Z' on the zsh web pages.

.ico files have a single bitplane of transparency, so it's on/off.  I
use ppmtowinicon (part of netpbm) to generate my favicons; it lets you
specify a transparency bitmask.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: web page usability
@ 2002-03-01 16:27     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-03-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.vogt, zsh-users

On Mar 1, 12:42pm, Dominik Vogt wrote:
}
} > Huh? Message-IDs are those from the X-Seq: header field.
}
} Ah, I see.  Unfortunately, you can't see that header in the
} mailing list archive.

It's the same as the number in the X-Mailing-List: header in the archive.

* Re: web page usability
@ 2002-03-01 11:42   ` Dominik Vogt
From: Dominik Vogt @ 2002-03-01 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 12:19:55PM +0100, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:

> Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > > You can get them from http://www.zsh.org/mla/zsh-{uers,workers}/<number>
> > > if they are young enough. Older ones get tar-gzipped in blocks of
> > > hundred messages in the same directory.
> >
> > Um, I tried that, but I can't figure out the correct message ids
> > and I can't get a directory listing.
>
> Huh? Message-IDs are those from the X-Seq: header field.

Ah, I see.  Unfortunately, you can't see that header in the
mailing list archive.

> zsh% links -dump http://www.zsh.org/mla/zsh-workers/
>                            Index of /mla/zsh-workers
>
>   Name                    Last modified       Size  Description
>
>      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>  [DIR] Parent Directory        01-Mar-2002 22:15      -  Back To Zsh Page
>  [   ] 000xx.tgz               20-Jul-1996 18:59    87k  Gzip'd tar
>  [   ] 001xx.tgz               20-Jul-1996 19:02   136k  Gzip'd tar
>  [   ] 16700                   22-Feb-2002 22:27     3k  Plain text file
>  [   ] 16701                   22-Feb-2002 23:37     2k  Plain text file

Ah, thanks.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--