zsh-users
* downloadable html user guide?
@ 2002-04-25 19:01 Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-04-25 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

just a quick question:

is there any special reason why the user's guide isn't available for
download in html?

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
8:57PM up 10 days, 10:10, 9 users, load averages: 0.23, 0.24, 0.37

* Re: downloadable html user guide?
@ 2002-04-28 20:33 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-04-28 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> just a quick question:
>
> is there any special reason why the user's guide isn't available for
> download in html?

Only because it's there in that format for online viewing.  Also, the
source code tar file will let you produce the HTML version if you have
YODL.  It didn't seem worth providing the HTML files as an archive.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@csr.com

* Re: downloadable html user guide?
@ 2002-04-29 10:20   ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-04-29 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

> To: zsh-users@sunsite.auc.dk (Zsh users list)
> Subject: Re: downloadable html user guide?
> Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:33:21 +0100
> From: Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
>
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > just a quick question:
> >
> > is there any special reason why the user's guide isn't available for
> > download in html?
>
> Only because it's there in that format for online viewing.  Also, the
> source code tar file will let you produce the HTML version if you have
> YODL.  It didn't seem worth providing the HTML files as an archive.

    Hm. I have a standalone machine I wanted to have the uguide
    available on. I thought I'd build it on this (connected) box, and
    take it home.

    # cd /usr/ports/textproc/yodl && make install clean
    ... failed, because yodl needs dvips as a dependency, and that
    isn't available (w/o teTeX) anymore.
    # cd /usr/ports/print/teTeX && make install clean
    # !-3

    That is a bit too much involved for my taste, but I can take it.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
12:13PM up 2:38, 5 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.05, 0.01

* Re: downloadable html user guide?
@ 2002-04-29 10:21     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-04-29 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>     Hm. I have a standalone machine I wanted to have the uguide
>     available on. I thought I'd build it on this (connected) box, and
>     take it home.

The following should do for now.

  for f in http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/zshguide{,{01..08}}.html; do
  lynx -source $f >${f:t}
  done

(`w3m -dump_source' is an alternative to `lynx -source'.)

It all needs to be a bit more sophisticated.  In fact, it needs better
indexing, perhaps using the same Yodl packages the manual does and
texi2html.  However, my first target is to finish it off.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: downloadable html user guide?
@ 2002-04-29 11:57       ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-04-29 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

> To: zsh-users@sunsite.dk (Zsh users list)
> Subject: Re: downloadable html user guide?
> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:21:37 +0100
> From: Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>
>
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >     Hm. I have a standalone machine I wanted to have the uguide
> >     available on. I thought I'd build it on this (connected) box, and
> >     take it home.
>
> The following should do for now.
>
>   for f in http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/zshguide{,{01..08}}.html; do
>   lynx -source $f >${f:t}
>   done
>
> (`w3m -dump_source' is an alternative to `lynx -source'.)

    I would've used wget if I didn't consider this abusive. :)

    Anyway, thanks for the uguide, html download notwithstanding,
    it's really helpful.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
1:54PM up 4:20, 6 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00