zsh-users
* Configuring zsh to leave keys in command mode after a vi "/" search
@ 2002-05-04  5:26 Kingsley G. Morse Jr.
From: Kingsley G. Morse Jr. @ 2002-05-04  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi everyone.

Does anyone happen to know how to configure zsh so the keyboard is left in
vi's *command mode* after finding the first matching command in zsh's
history with a "/" search?

        FOR EXAMPLE ...

Say I want step through old "more" commands in zsh's history.

        $ <esc>/more<cr>
        ?more_
        $ more /etc/hosts

When I press "n" to find the next match ...

        $ more /etc/hostsn

Oops! zsh was in vi's *insert* mode, interpreted the "n" literally and
appended it to the end of the command!

Is there a way to configure zsh so the "n" will be automatically
interpreted as the "next" command and retrieve the next matching "more"
command?

Thanks,
Kingsley

* Re: Configuring zsh to leave keys in command mode after a vi "/" search
@ 2002-05-04 20:34 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-05-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kingsley G. Morse Jr., zsh-users

On May 3, 10:26pm, Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:
}
}         $ <esc>/more<cr>
}         ?more_
}         $ more /etc/hosts
}
} When I press "n" to find the next match ...
}
}         $ more /etc/hostsn
}
} Oops! zsh was in vi's *insert* mode, interpreted the "n" literally and
} appended it to the end of the command!

I'm not able to reproduce this at all.  Zsh always stays in command mode
for me after ending a search.  What version are you running, and what
options do you have set?

* Re: Configuring zsh to leave keys in command mode after a vi "/" search
@ 2002-05-05  1:42   ` Kingsley G. Morse Jr.
From: Kingsley G. Morse Jr. @ 2002-05-05  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

Bart,

Thanks for checking.

On Sat:20:34, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On May 3, 10:26pm, Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:
> }
> }         $ <esc>/more<cr>
> }         ?more_
> }         $ more /etc/hosts
> }
> } When I press "n" to find the next match ...
> }
> }         $ more /etc/hostsn
> }
> } Oops! zsh was in vi's *insert* mode, interpreted the "n" literally and
> } appended it to the end of the command!
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this at all.  Zsh always stays in command mode
> for me after ending a search.

Interesting...

> What version are you running,

        $ zsh --version