zsh-users
* replacing completion
@ 2002-05-08 14:00 Andrei Zmievski
From: Andrei Zmievski @ 2002-05-08 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I'm trying to write a completion command that accomplishes the
following. When I type 'ssh foo' and hit TAB, I want it to expand to
'user@foo.someplace.net'. I am not very skilled in zsh completion
specifications, so I tried this:

compctl -k hosts -x 's[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -- ssh

But it actually expands to 'foouser@foo.someplace.net' since the
original 'foo' I typed stays. Is there a way around it?

-Andrei
* The best source is the source code. *

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-08 14:39 ` poeml
From: poeml @ 2002-05-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 09:00:45 -0500, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a completion command that accomplishes the
> following. When I type 'ssh foo' and hit TAB, I want it to expand to
> 'user@foo.someplace.net'. I am not very skilled in zsh completion
> specifications, so I tried this:

It seems you could also add

Host foo
	User user

to .ssh/config, so the ssh client would take care of that itself.
(Not that I want to prevent you from having fun with hacking on
completion :)

Peter
--
Thought is limitation. Free your mind.

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-08 14:44   ` Andrei Zmievski
From: Andrei Zmievski @ 2002-05-08 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, 08 May 2002, poeml@cmdline.net wrote:
> It seems you could also add
>
> Host foo
> 	User user

Yes, I could. :)

> to .ssh/config, so the ssh client would take care of that itself.
> (Not that I want to prevent you from having fun with hacking on
> completion :)

But that's where the fun is. :)

-Andrei                                       http://www.gravitonic.com/

The 3 great virtues of a programmer:
Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris.
                        --Larry Wall

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-08 15:53 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-05-08 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Zmievski, zsh-users

On May 8,  9:00am, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
}
} compctl -k hosts -x 's[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -- ssh

compctl -k hosts -x 's[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -U -- ssh

However, I'd suggest that you switch from compctl to the newer function-
based completion system, assuming you have zsh 4.0.something.

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-08 16:00   ` Andrei Zmievski
From: Andrei Zmievski @ 2002-05-08 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Wed, 08 May 2002, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> compctl -k hosts -x 's[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -U -- ssh

Didn't work. Here's the result:

10:59 cassandra[309] ssh foo<TAB>
10:59 cassandra[309] ssh foouser@foo.someplace.net

> However, I'd suggest that you switch from compctl to the newer function-
> based completion system, assuming you have zsh 4.0.something.

Yes, I have 4.0.2. I guess I will look at the new style completion.

By the way, did PHPerl come from Doug McEachern's initial effort? I
remember looking at it a few months ago.

-Andrei                                       http://www.gravitonic.com/

"When I get a little money, I buy books;
 and if any is left I buy food and clothes." -- Erasmus

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-08 16:23     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-05-08 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Zmievski; +Cc: zsh-users

On May 8, 11:00am, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
} Subject: Re: replacing completion
}
} On Wed, 08 May 2002, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} > compctl -k hosts -x 's[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -U -- ssh
}
} Didn't work.

Hmm, it works in 3.0.x.  Looks like a bug has been introduced into
`compctl -U' at some point in the 4.0 series.

Sven?

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-14  7:47       ` Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2002-05-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On May 8, 11:00am, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
> } Subject: Re: replacing completion
> }
> } On Wed, 08 May 2002, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } > compctl -k hosts -x 's[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -U -- ssh
> }
> } Didn't work.
>
> Hmm, it works in 3.0.x.  Looks like a bug has been introduced into
> `compctl -U' at some point in the 4.0 series.

Sorry for the delay.

It irritates me that it works in 3.0.x. Because, as the docs say, a
`s[...]' string is meant to be left alone. A `S[...]' string can be
changed by the completion code and with

    compctl -k hosts -x 'S[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -U -- ssh

it works for me.

Bye
  Sven

--
Sven Wischnowsky                          wischnow@berkom.de

* Re: replacing completion
@ 2002-05-14 13:23         ` Andrei Zmievski
From: Andrei Zmievski @ 2002-05-14 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> It irritates me that it works in 3.0.x. Because, as the docs say, a
> `s[...]' string is meant to be left alone. A `S[...]' string can be
> changed by the completion code and with
>
>     compctl -k hosts -x 'S[foo]' -k '(user@foo.someplace.net)' -U -- ssh
>
> it works for me.

Thanks!

-Andrei                                       http://www.gravitonic.com/

We all have photographic memories, it's just
that some of us don't have any film.