zsh-users
* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-10 16:22 Jukka Lehti
From: Jukka Lehti @ 2002-06-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> Setting the style to an empty string gives you the
> internal defaults, which should eb the same as the
> defaults for GNU ls (if we've found that out
> correctly).

It seems that they are not the same in my case.

> The solution is to transfer the $LS_COLORS from the
> Linux box to the BSD box.

I'll probably do this.

Thanks.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-10  7:29 ` Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2002-06-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Jukka Lehti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have in my ~/.zshrc following line:
>
> zstyle ':completion:*:default' list-colors
> "${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}"
>
> On a Linux, completion colors match nicely to colors
> of GNU ls. But on *BSD, directories are red and tar/gz
> are uncolored. Sym links and executables same as on
> Linux. On Linux LS_COLORS has tons of definitions, on
> *BSD it is empty. Replacing "${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}" with
> '' doesn't help. The problem exists on xterm and on
> console.
>
> Any ideas what's going on here?

Setting the style to an empty string gives you the internal defaults,
which should eb the same as the defaults for GNU ls (if we've found
that out correctly).

The solution is to transfer the $LS_COLORS from the Linux box to the
BSD box. Unless you want to install the whole GNU fileutils suite
there, as suggested by others.

Bye
  Sven

--
Sven Wischnowsky                          wischnow@berkom.de

* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-10  5:29 Jukka Lehti
From: Jukka Lehti @ 2002-06-10  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> and if you're not using GNU ls, the option for color
ls > may not exist, or may be different.

> in FreeBSD, the option is '-G', and the environment
> variable is "LSCOLORS".

Sorry if my initial mail was unclear, but I wasn't
talking about colored ls output - I was talking about
a case when completing, e.g.,

root@bsd:~> vi <TAB>
movie.avi   stuff.zip   test_dir   test.sh

and in that case the colors differ. (in the example
above, directory test_dir would be red, test.sh green
and other files uncolored).

@ 2002-06-09 20:11 ` Dennis Haney
From: Dennis Haney @ 2002-06-09 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

>> Try putting
>>
>> eval `dircolors`

This is part of fileutils, along with rm,mv,ln,ls etc.

>> colors

This is a zsh command...
/usr/share/zsh/4.0.4/functions/Misc/colors

Jukka> Unforunately no such commands are available.

--
Dennis
use Inline C => qq{void p(char*g){

* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-09 20:01   ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2002-06-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Calum Selkirk wrote:
> * Jukka Lehti [jukkalehti@yahoo.com] [2002-06-09 12:36 -0700]:

> > > Try putting
> > >
> > > eval `dircolors`
> > > colors
> > >

> > > in your .zshrc
> >
> > Unforunately no such commands are available.
>
> dircolors is part of the GNU fileutils suite see:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/fileutils.html
>
> and in my .zshrc in have
>
> eval `dircolors ~/.dir_colors`
>
> and
>
> alias ls='ls --color=auto'

and if you're not using GNU ls, the option for color ls may not exist,
or may be different.

in FreeBSD, the option is '-G', and the environment variable is
"LSCOLORS".

i have stuff like this in my .zshrc.

case $(uname) in
        Linux)
        LS_COLORS="di=33;4:ln=35;4:ex=31:*.rpm=32:*.gz=34:*.tar=34:*.tgz=36:*.bz 2=36:*.deb=34"
        alias ls='ls -F --color'
        export LS_COLORS
        ;;
        FreeBSD)
        LSCOLORS="3x5x2x3x1x464301060203"
        alias ls='ls -GF'
        export LS_COLORS
        ;;
        OpenBSD|NetBSD|Darwin)
        alias ls='ls -F'
        ;;
[ etc..... ]

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >

* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-09 19:58 ` Calum Selkirk
From: Calum Selkirk @ 2002-06-09 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Jukka Lehti [jukkalehti@yahoo.com] [2002-06-09 12:36 -0700]:

> > Try putting
> >
> > eval `dircolors`
> > colors
> >

> > in your .zshrc
>
> Unforunately no such commands are available.

dircolors is part of the GNU fileutils suite see:

http://www.gnu.org/directory/fileutils.html

and in my .zshrc in have

eval `dircolors ~/.dir_colors`

and

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

HTH

cal

* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-09 19:57 ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-06-09 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Lehti; +Cc: zsh-users, Dennis Haney

> Unforunately no such commands are available.

That's likely because you don't have GNU fileutils.

* Re: completion colors differ on BSD/Linux
@ 2002-06-09 19:36 Jukka Lehti
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jukka Lehti @ 2002-06-09 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Dennis Haney

@ 2002-06-07  9:17 ` Dennis Haney
From: Dennis Haney @ 2002-06-07  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Jukka> Hi, I have in my ~/.zshrc following line:

Jukka> zstyle ':completion:*:default' list-colors "${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}"

Jukka> On a Linux, completion colors match nicely to colors of GNU
Jukka> ls. But on *BSD, directories are red and tar/gz are
Jukka> uncolored. Sym links and executables same as on Linux. On Linux
Jukka> LS_COLORS has tons of definitions, on *BSD it is
Jukka> empty. Replacing "${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}" with '' doesn't help. The
Jukka> problem exists on xterm and on console.

Jukka> Any ideas what's going on here?

Try putting

eval `dircolors`
colors