zsh-users
* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 12:37 Arno Dark
From: Arno Dark @ 2002-06-28 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

> I am afraid it won't work anywhere except for Linux console. And even
> then only using default IBM 437 character set.
>
> You have to emit escape sequence that tells your terminal (emulation)
> use semi-graphic characters and possibly use some translation into
> specific character set used by your terminal. I have never found a way
> to do it automatically (or even semi-automatically). Neither termcap
nor
> terminfo help here because their set of semi-graphics is very limited
> and does not cover characters used in prompt themes.
>
> -andrej

If I understand, it's impossible for me to use the prompt themes. It's
too bad because i found this thmes so beautiful :(. But there is a point
that i don't understand. You said that the theme could only work on
linux console and a this url :
http://adamspiers.org/computing/zsh/files/prompts/shot_19-11-99_030553.j
pg whe can see that he use X11 environnement ???

Arno

* RE: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 12:45 ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2002-06-28 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Arno Dark', zsh-users

> If I understand, it's impossible for me to use the prompt themes. It's
> too bad because i found this thmes so beautiful :(. But there is a
point
> that i don't understand. You said that the theme could only work on
> linux console and a this url :

http://adamspiers.org/computing/zsh/files/prompts/shot_19-11-99_030553.j
> pg whe can see that he use X11 environnement ???

May be they using some terminal emulator that emulates Linux console?
:-) To make it work you need terminal (emulator) that supports those
semi-graphic characters. I do not doubt that some windows programs do
support them. I just do not know which ones. May be somebody could help
here.

Most themes never worked for me because I use Russian character set that
has those characters in different place. You are using ISO-8859-1 that
does not have these characters at all.

-andrej

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 15:25   ` Arno
From: Arno @ 2002-06-28 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: zsh-users

Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

>May be they using some terminal emulator that emulates Linux console?
>:-) To make it work you need terminal (emulator) that supports those
>semi-graphic characters. I do not doubt that some windows programs do
>support them. I just do not know which ones. May be somebody could help
>here.
>
>Most themes never worked for me because I use Russian character set that
>has those characters in different place. You are using ISO-8859-1 that
>does not have these characters at all.
>
>-andrej

You know how can I emulate linux console with good character ? I use a
Debain Linux so I think it's possible but I don't kown. I don't need
french character in my xterm.

Arno

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 16:13     ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-06-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno; +Cc: zsh-users

> You know how can I emulate linux console with good character ? I use a
> Debain Linux so I think it's possible but I don't kown. I don't need
> french character in my xterm.

apt-get install bitchx
xterm -fn default 8x16 &

You also probably want to adjust your LANG/LC_* settings to 'C'.

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 16:21     ` Bart Schaefer
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-06-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno, zsh-users

On Jun 28,  5:25pm, Arno wrote:
} Subject: Re: Prompt themes
}
} You know how can I emulate linux console with good character ? I use a
} Debain Linux so I think it's possible but I don't kown. I don't need
} french character in my xterm.

Running `prompt -h adam2' says, among other things:

Recommended fonts for this theme: nexus or vga or similar.  If you
don't have any of these, then specify the `plain' option to use 7-bit
replacements for the 8-bit characters.

So you need to use `xterm -fn nexus' or `xterm -fn vga' to tell xterm
to use the nexus or vga fonts, or in your $HOME/XTerm file put

XTerm*font: nexus

(or whatever).  You probably don't have the nexus or vga fonts available,
but you can find them with a Google search, which brings up e.g. this
page:	http://home.earthlink.net/~us5zahns/enl/ansifont.html

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 21:49       ` Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2002-06-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> (or whatever).  You probably don't have the nexus or vga fonts available,
> but you can find them with a Google search, which brings up e.g. this
> page:	http://home.earthlink.net/~us5zahns/enl/ansifont.html

Great, for the first time in my zsh-life could I see these fancy prompts.
But unfortunately now I can't use spanish characters or the euro sign ¤
anymore.  I suppose there just aren't enough characters in a font to
support all of these.  Or maybe with UTF8...?

Thanks,
 Andy.

--
           http://peru.spiegl.de  Our project
      http://radiomaranon.org.pe  Radio Marañón, Jaén, Perú

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-29  0:20       ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2002-06-29  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Goodness, my reaction times are apparently far too slow!  Thanks to
everyone for answering the questions regarding my screenshots of
"fancy" prompts with unusual terminal fonts on my behalf.  I've
updated my page with a link to the site Bart mentioned, and a tarball
of all the fonts I use, which includes a README with more info.

Adam

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-29 16:59         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-06-29 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Spiegl, zsh-users

On Jun 28,  4:49pm, Andy Spiegl wrote:
}
} Great, for the first time in my zsh-life could I see these fancy prompts.
} But unfortunately now I can't use spanish characters or the euro sign ¤
} anymore.  I suppose there just aren't enough characters in a font to
} support all of these.

Try the UNI-VGA fonts: http://www.inp.nsk.su/~bolkhov/files/fonts/univga/

I don't know that they'll work, but they're more modern than some of the
other VGA fonts that are floating around.

} Or maybe with UTF8...?

Zsh doesn't do multibyte yet, so if you can't find a character in the
0-255 range it's not going to work properly.

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-30  6:46         ` Cameron McBride
From: Cameron McBride @ 2002-06-30  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> "fancy" prompts with unusual terminal fonts on my behalf.  I've
> updated my page with a link to the site Bart mentioned, and a tarball
> of all the fonts I use, which includes a README with more info.

A bit OT, but I found that most prompt themes seem to work with the
'smoothansi' font, contained within Adam's tarball referenced above (and
on his site).  Now, if I could only find these neato fonts in sizes I
could use...  (artsie rocks as well, but again ... too small)

::sigh::

Cameron

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-01-23  8:57       ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-01-23  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [2002-06-28 16:21:49 +0000]:
> Running `prompt -h adam2' says, among other things:

  I just tried this and I don't have a "prompt" command.  Am I missing
something?

 John Buttery
                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)

* RE: Prompt themes
@ 2003-01-23  9:04         ` Borzenkov Andrey
From: Borzenkov Andrey @ 2003-01-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Buttery', zsh-users

> * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [2002-06-28 16:21:49 +0000]:
> > Running `prompt -h adam2' says, among other things:
>
>   I just tried this and I don't have a "prompt" command.  Am I missing
> something?

fpath=($fpath /usr/share/zsh/$ZSH_VERSION/functions/Prompts)
autoload -U promptinit; promptinit

depending on your installation everything may dumped just under
.../functions (without subdirectory) and replace /usr/share with your
prefix.

-andrey

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-01-23 10:19           ` john
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: john @ 2003-01-23 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Borzenkov Andrey <Andrey.Borzenkov@siemens.com> [2003-01-23 12:04:31 +0300]:
> fpath=($fpath /usr/share/zsh/$ZSH_VERSION/functions/Prompts)
> autoload -U promptinit; promptinit

  Nice!  Now it works.  Maybe I will add my own prompt to them.  :)

  Going through all those directories reminded me of another zsh feature
I used to have that for some reason stopped working at some point.  I
used to be able to do something like:

% cd /u/s/z/4/f/M<tab>

  ...and wind up with...

% cd /usr/share/zsh/4.0.6/functions/Misc

  ...but not any more.  I've been fishing around the manpages and Google
for "zsh complete multiple directories" and "zsh complete directory
tree" and "zsh complete pathname" with no success.  I assume the change
happened when I went from compctl to zstyle...does anybody know the
appropriate incantation to get this back?  A better answer might be some
hints on where to search...it always seems like zsh does a zillion and
one cool things, but I can never find any of them in the manual.  :)

@ 2003-01-23 10:23             ` Joakim Ryden
From: Joakim Ryden @ 2003-01-23 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand
                                 ^^^^^^^
I think the _expand there will do it for you.

--Jo

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 04:19:45AM -0600, john@io.com wrote:
=>   Going through all those directories reminded me of another zsh feature
=> I used to have that for some reason stopped working at some point.  I
=> used to be able to do something like:
=>
=> % cd /u/s/z/4/f/M<tab>
=>
=>   ...and wind up with...
=>
=> % cd /usr/share/zsh/4.0.6/functions/Misc
=>
=>   ...but not any more.  I've been fishing around the manpages and Google
=> for "zsh complete multiple directories" and "zsh complete directory
=> tree" and "zsh complete pathname" with no success.  I assume the change
=> happened when I went from compctl to zstyle...does anybody know the
=> appropriate incantation to get this back?  A better answer might be some
=> hints on where to search...it always seems like zsh does a zillion and
=> one cool things, but I can never find any of them in the manual.  :)
=>
=> --
=> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ 2003-01-23 10:40             ` Borzenkov Andrey
From: Borzenkov Andrey @ 2003-01-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john, zsh-users

>   Going through all those directories reminded me of another zsh feature
> I used to have that for some reason stopped working at some point.  I
> used to be able to do something like:
>
> % cd /u/s/z/4/f/M<tab>
>
>   ...and wind up with...
>
> % cd /usr/share/zsh/4.0.6/functions/Misc
>
>   ...but not any more.  I've been fishing around the manpages and Google
> for "zsh complete multiple directories" and "zsh complete directory
> tree" and "zsh complete pathname" with no success.  I assume the change
> happened when I went from compctl to zstyle...does anybody know the
> appropriate incantation to get this back?

You mean it ever worked with compctl?!?

The simplest thing is to do

autoload -U compinstall; compinstall

and it will guide you through setting up new completion system. To activate
it, it is

autoload -U compinit; compinit

but there are a lot of options you can tweak ...

-andrey

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-01-23 10:40             ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-01-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

john@io.com wrote:
> I used to be able to do something like:
>
> % cd /u/s/z/4/f/M<tab>
>
>   ...and wind up with...
>
> % cd /usr/share/zsh/4.0.6/functions/Misc
>
>   ...but not any more.

This is supported by default by the _path_files functions that handles
completion in the new system.  Try:

  zsh -f
  autoload compinit
  compinit -D

(compinit -D prevents stomping on your .zcompdump file).  If it works
there you have somehow managed to turn it off in your initialisation files.

You can configure the settings for file completion, if that is the
problem, by running `compinstall' (completely misnamed for historical
reasons), selection `Styles for particular completions', then `Options
for file completion'.  There is an option there to choose how multiple
path segments are expanded.  Nothing there should actually disable it,
but there are subtleties as you will see.

If you find some blatant gotcha, please let us know.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-01-23 18:02               ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-01-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 23,  1:40pm, Borzenkov Andrey wrote:
}
} > % cd /u/s/z/4/f/M<tab>
} > % cd /usr/share/zsh/4.0.6/functions/Misc
}
} You mean it ever worked with compctl?!?

See Functions/Compctl/multicomp ... presumably it _still_ works, if it
doesn't we've broken something.

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-01-24 21:12                 ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-01-24 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [2003-01-23 18:02:07 +0000]:
> See Functions/Compctl/multicomp ... presumably it _still_ works, if it
> doesn't we've broken something.

  I assure you, if something is broken, it's an order of magnitude more
likely to be my fault.  :)  I have a habit of making (or trying to) a
complete configuration file for a program as soon as I install it (as
in, before I fully understand it).  Usually works out pretty well, but
zsh configuration can get pretty complex if you really try to get into
it (which I always do :p).
  Disadvantage: Sometimes things are broken for a while when I first
install them.  I find this provides suitable motivation.  :)
  Advantage: Tickled pink feeling of accomplishment as everything comes
together at once at the end.

  In any case, I'm performing intensive exploration on this topic; I'll
let you guys know what I come up with.

@ 2003-02-03 11:24                   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2003-02-03 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: zsh-workers

John Buttery <john@io.com>:

> [...]   I have a habit of making (or trying to) a
> complete configuration file for a program as soon as I install it (as
> in, before I fully understand it).

>   Disadvantage: Sometimes things are broken for a while when I first
> install them.  I find this provides suitable motivation.  :)
>   Advantage: Tickled pink feeling of accomplishment as everything comes
> together at once at the end.

admit it:  you're never really done  :)

  clemens

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-02-04  9:33                     ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-02-04  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Clemens Fischer <ino-qc@spotteswoode.de.eu.org> [2003-02-03 12:24:45 +0100]:
> admit it:  you're never really done  :)

  Haha well, when I said "at the end", I was referring to the point
where everything is working as expected.  Further enhancements from
there, of course, are an ongoing process...  :)
  By the way, I figured out what the problem was, and I'm sure this will
come as a surprise to almost nobody: it was my $FPATH setting.  It must
have been incomplete or something, because when I commented it out of my
.zshrc and logged back in, completion of all types (including the
multi-directory stuff I was referring to) worked as expected.  So I did
a "echo $FPATH", copied its response back into my .zshrc, prepended
$HOME/.zsh/functions, and I'm good to go!  :)

@ 2003-02-04 10:45                       ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2003-02-04 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

# john@io.com / 2003-02-04 03:33:10 -0600:
>   By the way, I figured out what the problem was, and I'm sure this will
> come as a surprise to almost nobody: it was my $FPATH setting.  It must
> have been incomplete or something, because when I commented it out of my
> .zshrc and logged back in, completion of all types (including the
> multi-directory stuff I was referring to) worked as expected.  So I did
> a "echo $FPATH", copied its response back into my .zshrc, prepended
> $HOME/.zsh/functions, and I'm good to go!  :)

    why don't you use FPATH=$HOME/.zsh/functions:$FPATH ?  That would
    save you from the same trouble in the future when it changes.

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-02-04 14:30                         ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-02-04 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> [2003-02-04 11:45:14 +0100]:
>     why don't you use FPATH=$HOME/.zsh/functions:$FPATH ?  That would
>     save you from the same trouble in the future when it changes.

  I know, but I like things to be explicitly set.  The chi and harmony I
get internally from doing things that way outweighs the temporary
discomfort of having to update it every once in a while.  :)

@ 2003-02-04 15:13                           ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2003-02-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

 --- John Buttery <john@io.com> wrote: > * Roman Neuhauser
<neuhauser@bellavista.cz> [2003-02-04 11:45:14 +0100]:
> >     why don't you use FPATH=$HOME/.zsh/functions:$FPATH ?  That would
> >     save you from the same trouble in the future when it changes.
>
>   I know, but I like things to be explicitly set.  The chi and harmony I
> get internally from doing things that way outweighs the temporary
> discomfort of having to update it every once in a while.  :)

Hi John,

It really is not a good idea to "set" the FPATH in any of your init scripts,
despite what your chi and harmony might lead you to believe.  ;)  Things will
break in unpredictable ways when you upgrade or try to use your init scipts
on a different machine.

There is a $fpath variable, which is an array that mirrors the contents of
$FPATH (e.g. when you modify one, the other will change as well).  I find it
easier to play with arrays, for example the following:

fpath=(${LE_ETC}/shell/zsh/autoloads/interactive
       ${LE_ETC}/shell/zsh/completion
       $fpath)

prepends two directories to $fpath and indirectly $FPATH.

Perpend/append good; set bad.

--
Le

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2003-02-04 19:43                             ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-02-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

* Le Wang <lewang@yahoo.com> [2003-02-04 10:13:57 -0500]:
> It really is not a good idea to "set" the FPATH in any of your init scripts,
> despite what your chi and harmony might lead you to believe.  ;)  Things will
> break in unpredictable ways when you upgrade or try to use your init scipts
> on a different machine.

  I know, and that's the very trouble I was referring to when I said the
chi and harmony justified it.  :)  I believe in training myself to be
"debug-resilient", which means that I do things a certain way that
probably causes breakage a little more often than doing it your way
(which is the way most people do it, I'm sure), but leaves me more
prepared to deal with problems when they do occur...if for no other
reason than the familiarity.

> There is a $fpath variable, which is an array that mirrors the contents of
> $FPATH (e.g. when you modify one, the other will change as well).  I find it
> easier to play with arrays, for example the following:
>
> fpath=(${LE_ETC}/shell/zsh/autoloads/interactive
>        ${LE_ETC}/shell/zsh/completion
>        $fpath)
>
> prepends two directories to $fpath and indirectly $FPATH.

  Are you saying there's a difference between playing with $fpath and
$FPATH (I mean, besides the syntactic differences of dealing with them,
I realize one's an array and the other's different...but a difference in
the results produced after the modification)?

> Perpend/append good; set bad.

  That depends on your definitions of good and bad.  :)  If it makes you
feel better, I have this line right above my normal FPATH-setting line
in .zshrc:

#export FPATH="${HOME}/.zsh/functions:${FPATH}"

  It's there to be uncommented at any time; part of being
"debug-resilient".  :)

@ 2003-02-04 19:58                               ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2003-02-04 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

 --- John Buttery <john@io.com> wrote:

>   Are you saying there's a difference between playing with $fpath and
> $FPATH (I mean, besides the syntactic differences of dealing with them,
> I realize one's an array and the other's different...but a difference in
> the results produced after the modification)?

No.  You can look at the two superficially as seperate representations of the
same variable.  I'm not sure what kind of magic Zsh performs internally.

> > Perpend/append good; set bad.
>
>   That depends on your definitions of good and bad.  :)  If it makes you
> feel better, I have this line right above my normal FPATH-setting line
> in .zshrc:
>
> #export FPATH="${HOME}/.zsh/functions:${FPATH}"
>
>   It's there to be uncommented at any time; part of being
> "debug-resilient".  :)

Ok.  To each his own.

--
Le

* Re: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 12:50 ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-06-28 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> To: <zsh-users@sunsite.dk>
> Subject: Prompt themes
> From: "Arno Dark" <dark-arno@ifrance.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:11:54 GMT
>
> Hello,
>
> I install szh few days ago and now I would like to configure my prompt.
> So I want to use adam2 prompt or other theme but I have somme probleme.
> In fact, I have special caractere (french caractere) and not line. So I
> would like to kown how I could have line and not french caracter.

    Hi Arno,

    IMO you don't have to be too sorry. The themes are there just to
    show off what can be done in zsh. At least, I haven't found any of
    the themes (those that I tried) anywhere near usable. (No offence to
    the authors intended.)

    Just whip up your own prompt; you can add features as you continue
    to discover zsh.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
2:41PM up 4 days, 11:40, 10 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

* RE: Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 12:19 ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2002-06-28 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Arno Dark', zsh-users

> I install szh few days ago and now I would like to configure my
prompt.
> So I want to use adam2 prompt or other theme but I have somme
probleme.
> In fact, I have special caractere (french caractere) and not line. So
> would like to kown how I could have line and not french caracter.

I am afraid it won't work anywhere except for Linux console. And even
then only using default IBM 437 character set.

You have to emit escape sequence that tells your terminal (emulation) to
use semi-graphic characters and possibly use some translation into
specific character set used by your terminal. I have never found a way
to do it automatically (or even semi-automatically). Neither termcap nor
terminfo help here because their set of semi-graphics is very limited
and does not cover characters used in prompt themes.

-andrej

* Prompt themes
@ 2002-06-28 12:11 Arno Dark