zsh-users
* RE: What is the zsh equivalent of csh's set echo?
@ 2002-09-16 21:54 Hall Jeffrey S NPRI
From: Hall Jeffrey S NPRI @ 2002-09-16 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users (E-mail); +Cc: Bosworth Barry T NPRI, Goldman Warren A NPRI

Actually, I figured out my problem. I got burned by the
zsh not splitting parameter substitutions into multiple
words. I had a flag/value pair stored in a variable, like
FOO='-flag value' and was trying to run a program named
proto89 by doing something like

proto89 $FOO.

WRONG! This does NOT work in the zsh. The zsh does not give
command proto89 2 arguments but only 1! That is, zsh does NOT
give the command proto89 the 2 arguments "-flag" and "value"
but only 1 argument "-flag value". proto89 does not report
this problem but simply ignores it, hence my problem. Note
that

echo proto89 $FOO

does not reveal the problem because the user will clearly see
the words "-flag" and "value" separated but does not know that
zsh is giving them to the command as 1 argument.

This "feature" of zsh should be better known. I've used the zsh
for like 8 years and never stumbled (staggered) across this
problem before.

    I am trying to debug a zsh script. I want to know what zsh command makes zsh behave like csh does with the set echo command: write out every command after the shell has fully expanded it, right before it is executed. I read the zshall man page but did not find what I was looking for. Thanks.

* Re: What is the zsh equivalent of csh's set echo?
@ 2002-09-16 22:06 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2002-09-16 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users (E-mail)

Hall Jeffrey S NPRI <HallJS@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil> writes:

> Actually, I figured out my problem. I got burned by the zsh not
> splitting parameter substitutions into multiple words.

[...]

> This "feature" of zsh should be better known. I've used the zsh for
> like 8 years and never stumbled (staggered) across this problem
> before.

It's in the FAQ.  It's a feature if you want to treat strings
consistently whether or not they happen to contain spaces.

* Re: What is the zsh equivalent of csh's set echo?
@ 2002-09-16 22:15 ` David Huttleston Jr
From: David Huttleston Jr @ 2002-09-16 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I've been burned by this also.  :(
Is there a way to do something like:
    $mycommand $myoptions $@

Where $myoptions could be:
    myoptions="-a"
or
    myoptions="-a -f myfile.txt"

It always chokes on interpreting "-a -f myfile.txt" as a single
parameter.  Any solutions?

--
David Huttleston Jr
7941 Tree Lane Suite 200

* Re: What is the zsh equivalent of csh's set echo?
@ 2002-09-16 22:23   ` David Huttleston Jr
From: David Huttleston Jr @ 2002-09-16 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Yah, yah, ... read the FAQ :)
Section 3.1 explains it very thoroughly.

--
David Huttleston Jr
7941 Tree Lane Suite 200

* Re: What is the zsh equivalent of csh's set echo?
       [not found] <20020916194352.QNEN494619.fep02-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com@sunsite.dk>
@ 2002-09-16 20:31 ` Paul Ackersviller
From: Paul Ackersviller @ 2002-09-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 03:43:34PM -0400, Hall Jeffrey S NPRI wrote:
>     I am trying to debug a zsh script. I want to know what zsh command makes zsh behave like csh does with the set echo command: write out every command after the shell has fully expanded it, right before it is executed. I read the zshall man page but did not find what I was looking for. Thanks.

You want the xtrace option, or set -x, or simply the -x the command-line
switch for any sh-compatible shell.

--
Paul Ackersviller

* What is the zsh equivalent of csh's set echo?
@ 2002-09-16 19:43 Hall Jeffrey S NPRI
From: Hall Jeffrey S NPRI @ 2002-09-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users