zsh-users
* Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-13 19:24 Mads Martin Joergensen
From: Mads Martin Joergensen @ 2003-01-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

How about contemplating makes the zsh lists $subject?

--
Mads Martin Jørgensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-14  4:08 ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-01-14  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Mads Martin Joergensen <mmj@suse.de> [2003-01-13 20:24:20 +0100]:
> How about contemplating makes the zsh lists $subject?

  IIRC, this and some other issues are left alone because the list
maintainers don't have control of the machine where the list is running
to make such changes?

 John Buttery
                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-14 14:42   ` Mads Martin Joergensen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mads Martin Joergensen @ 2003-01-14 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* John Buttery <john@io.com> [Jan 14. 2003 05:08]:
> * Mads Martin Joergensen <mmj@suse.de> [2003-01-13 20:24:20 +0100]:
> > How about contemplating makes the zsh lists $subject?
>
>   IIRC, this and some other issues are left alone because the list
> maintainers don't have control of the machine where the list is running
> to make such changes?

Well, I talked to them, and they'll make it subscribers only if we want
to. They'll also reenable spamassassin again when they fix it--it ran
out of control and 'exploded' some time ago.

--
Mads Martin Jørgensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
 and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?"
                                -- A. P. J.

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-14 14:56     ` Peter Stephenson
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-01-14 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> Well, I talked to them, and they'll make it subscribers only if we want
> to. They'll also reenable spamassassin again when they fix it--it ran
> out of control and 'exploded' some time ago.

I think the latter would be a better fix.  It could run at quite a high
level of protection --- unlike normal email, with a mailing list you
can tell if your mail didn't make it.  (In the event of subject lines
like `Zsh problem with pictures of celebrities taking human growth
hormone', or whatever.)

We don't really want to make zsh-workers a closed list, since that's
where we receive bug reports, and this way we can discuss them live
instead of trawling through a list.  This has proved a very useful way
of working.

Although it's less crucial, I don't think we want to close zsh-users,
either, since it's annoying to have to subscribe to a list just to ask
one simple query.  The people who bother to ask questions on the list,
even if they're not members, are often the ones who are able to spot
infelicities in the shell or in the documentation.  At a pinch, they
could still post to zsh-workers, I suppose, so this is an option.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-14 15:09       ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2003-01-14 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 14:56:09 +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> > Well, I talked to them, and they'll make it subscribers only if we want
> > to. They'll also reenable spamassassin again when they fix it--it ran
> > out of control and 'exploded' some time ago.
>
> I think the latter would be a better fix.

I agree. For some reasons, users like me may post with a different
address than the subscription one.

> It could run at quite a high level of protection --- unlike normal
> email, with a mailing list you can tell if your mail didn't make it.
> (In the event of subject lines like `Zsh problem with pictures of
> celebrities taking human growth hormone', or whatever.)

If there is a problem to choose the level of protection, there could
be a white list (common to both mailing-lists) of subscribers / known
posters. And if possible, what about a confirmation request for
ambiguous messages...?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-14 15:53     ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2003-01-14 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

# mmj@suse.de / 2003-01-14 15:42:19 +0100:
> * John Buttery <john@io.com> [Jan 14. 2003 05:08]:
> > * Mads Martin Joergensen <mmj@suse.de> [2003-01-13 20:24:20 +0100]:
> > > How about contemplating makes the zsh lists $subject?
> >
> >   IIRC, this and some other issues are left alone because the list
> > maintainers don't have control of the machine where the list is running
> > to make such changes?
>
> Well, I talked to them, and they'll make it subscribers only if we want
> to. They'll also reenable spamassassin again when they fix it--it ran
> out of control and 'exploded' some time ago.

    and while they're at the fixing, how about
    <20030112144512.GA1196@freepuppy.bellavista.cz> sent to users@ two
    days ago?

    something like DJB's qsecretary or TMDA could help as well.

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-14 17:44       ` Joakim Ryden
From: Joakim Ryden @ 2003-01-14 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 02:56:09PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
=> Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
=> > Well, I talked to them, and they'll make it subscribers only if we want
=> > to. They'll also reenable spamassassin again when they fix it--it ran
=> > out of control and 'exploded' some time ago.
=>
[...]

I think to be a little blunt about it it boils down to.. which is more
important, keeping the loyal users who are actually subscribed and asking
not to receive a bunch of silly SPAM or making sure that Joe Schmoe can
post freely?

I've enjoyed this list a great deal - I think there are some really cool
and some extremely smart people on here. But alas, I'm unsubscribing myself
and will resort to browse whatever archives on occasion instead.

--Jo

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-15  2:46     ` Paul Ackersviller
From: Paul Ackersviller @ 2003-01-15  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:42:19PM +0100, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> * John Buttery <john@io.com> [Jan 14. 2003 05:08]:
> >
> >   IIRC, this and some other issues are left alone because the list
> > maintainers don't have control of the machine where the list is running
> > to make such changes?
>
> Well, I talked to them, and they'll make it subscribers only if we want
> to. They'll also reenable spamassassin again when they fix it--it ran
> out of control and 'exploded' some time ago.

Does anyone know whether bogofilter has been considered?  I've been
using both it and spamassassin for a few months and getting far
superior results from bogofilter (but it does require some training
before identifying anything at all).  It's also reputed to be much
faster, although I haven't tried comparing speeds.  A number of people
on the spamassassin list running high volume servers have complained
about its resource usage.

--
Paul Ackersviller

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-15 17:21         ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-01-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Joakim Ryden <jryden@forumone.com> [2003-01-14 12:44:36 -0500]:
> I think to be a little blunt about it it boils down to.. which is more
> important, keeping the loyal users who are actually subscribed and
> asking not to receive a bunch of silly SPAM or making sure that Joe
> Schmoe can post freely?

  If we're being blunt, what it boils down to is doing whatever it is
that keeps the admins happy.  If people are going around creating and
supporting an outstanding piece of software for me, for free, I
certainly am all in favor of having their tools work the way _they_ want
them to.  Compared to that, you, me, and Joe Schmoe can all bug off.  :)

@ 2003-01-16 16:42       ` Borzenkov Andrey
From: Borzenkov Andrey @ 2003-01-16 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Stephenson', zsh-users

> Although it's less crucial, I don't think we want to close zsh-users,
> either, since it's annoying to have to subscribe to a list just to ask
> one simple query.  The people who bother to ask questions on the list,
> even if they're not members, are often the ones who are able to spot
> infelicities in the shell or in the documentation.  At a pinch, they
> could still post to zsh-workers, I suppose, so this is an option.

I prefer lists which request confirmation before actually posting. This way
I am not forced to subscribe just because I want to post a single bug report
but still am able to do it freely.

-andrey

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-18 15:59   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2003-01-18 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Le Wang <lewang@yahoo.com>:

> Are open/closed our only options?  I've heard talk of
> a confirmation process for non-subscribers.  That
> sounds very interesting.
>
> In an ideal world a non-subscriber would get something
> like this when he posts:
>
> <fakeMessage>
> (four options)
> </fakeMessage>

this can be made simpler.  eg. i read and post to this list via
gmane.org, which is a NNTP/mailing-list gateway.  using the simple
fact that no spammer ever uses a real from-address, posters to a list
get a message from "your friendly authorizer" on gmane which they
have to answer to.  then held posts go through.

  clemens

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-17 14:29 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2003-01-17 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

 --- Joakim Ryden <jryden@forumone.com> wrote: > John
I'm
> merely suggesting that
> people might have more creative ideas for how to
> provide that support than
> having their inboxes filled with SPAM and viruses.
> But then I could be
> wrong of course. :)

Are open/closed our only options?  I've heard talk of
a confirmation process for non-subscribers.  That
sounds very interesting.

In an ideal world a non-subscriber would get something
like this when he posts:

<fakeMessage>
Hi <name>,

Thanks for your interest in our list.  We welcome and
value your input.  If you use ZSh often, we suggest
you subscribe (see below) to our list to maximize your
enjoyment of the "ZSh" experience.

You have four options to proceed with your post:

1.  Do nothing.  And your post will be cancelled.

2.  Click <link name="here"/> to proceed with your
post and subscribe to our list.

3.  Click <link name="here"/> to proceed with your
post and receive responses to this thread (or
subthread) for the next 7 days.

4.  Click <link name="here"/> to proceed with your
post  and do nothing else.

Thanks,
<link name="zsh-users"> Maintainers

</fakeMessage>

Would something like this be too difficult to
implement?

--
Le

* Re: Subscribers only
@ 2003-01-17  4:34 ` seth
From: seth @ 2003-01-17  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Ryden; +Cc: zsh-users

Let's wait until the list folks have their filtering back on line; then we can
make a judgement.  I suspect that the problem will mostly go away.  I have my
list software configured to block all of these problem emails, and there is no
reason to think that the list won't be back to normal soon.

Let's wait until we see if there is still a problem before restricting the
list.  My 2 cents, of course; I'm a member so members only won't impact me
personally.

E-Mail: seth@cql.com
Date: 16-Jan-2003
Time: 21:32:24