zsh-users
* Small Completion Problem
@ 2003-03-23 19:56 Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2003-03-23 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User ML

Hi,

I have a small problem with compinit on my Woody system. I looked in
the FAQ but couldn't find it and other documentation is quite
overwhelming. A pointer to the right part of the manpage or the guide
would be welcome.

The problem:
I have an alias 'n' on the NEdit client which is use very often. After
running compinit however, filenames are no longer completed. Is there
an option for compinit to change this behavior?

Pointers to the right part of the docs would be welcome!

tia,
Thorsten
--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.

* Re: Small Completion Problem
@ 2003-03-24 13:47 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-03-24 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Haude; +Cc: Zsh User ML

Thorsten Haude wrote:

> I have an alias 'n' on the NEdit client which is use very often. After
> running compinit however, filenames are no longer completed. Is there
> an option for compinit to change this behavior?

No, it should work (does for me though I name the alias 'nedit'). What
version of zsh are you running? Do you have the complete_aliases option
unset? What does it complete after n -<tab> It should give you nc options
but if you get options for netcat, then there is something wrong.

Oliver

* Re: Small Completion Problem
@ 2003-03-24 22:03   ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2003-03-24 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User ML

Hi,

I'm a subscriber, no need to send the mail twice.

* Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> [2003-03-24 14:47]:
>Thorsten Haude wrote:
>> I have an alias 'n' on the NEdit client which is use very often. After
>> running compinit however, filenames are no longer completed. Is there
>> an option for compinit to change this behavior?
>
>No, it should work (does for me though I name the alias 'nedit'). What
>version of zsh are you running? Do you have the complete_aliases option
>unset? What does it complete after n -<tab> It should give you nc options
>but if you get options for netcat, then there is something wrong.

$ZSH_VERSION is 4.0.4

'n -\t' definitely looks like Netcat.

I now see what could be the problem (but have no solution): Debian
renames the client to nedit-nc, which completes as expected. However,
I always roll my own NEdits, and these are called 'nc' (and aliased to
'n').

I now looked around a bit (never expected that NEdit is supported
(should have remembered that you are using it)) and found
.../Completion/X/_nedit, which is Greek to me. What could I do to get
the completion I want, if I don't care what happens to Netcat?

Thanks in advance!

Thorsten
--
The history of Liberty is a history of the limitation of government power.
    - Woodrow Wilson

* Re: Small Completion Problem
@ 2003-03-25  9:25     ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-03-25  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Thorsten Haude wrote:

> >No, it should work (does for me though I name the alias 'nedit'). What
> >version of zsh are you running? Do you have the complete_aliases option
> >unset? What does it complete after n -<tab> It should give you nc options
> >but if you get options for netcat, then there is something wrong.
>
> $ZSH_VERSION is 4.0.4
>
> 'n -\t' definitely looks like Netcat.

The netcat completion is not distributed with zsh 4.0.4 (or any 4.0.x)
precisely because of the nedit name clash.

So you must have a netcat completion from somewhere else and installed
somewhere in your $fpath.

> I now looked around a bit (never expected that NEdit is supported
> (should have remembered that you are using it)) and found
> .../Completion/X/_nedit, which is Greek to me. What could I do to get
> the completion I want, if I don't care what happens to Netcat?

Find the netcat completion and remove it. $^fpath/$_comps[nc](N) should
find it for you.

Oliver

* Re: Small Completion Problem
@ 2003-03-25 21:53       ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2003-03-25 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Hi,

* Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> [2003-03-25 10:25]:
>Thorsten Haude wrote:
>> >No, it should work (does for me though I name the alias 'nedit'). What
>> >version of zsh are you running? Do you have the complete_aliases option
>> >unset? What does it complete after n -<tab> It should give you nc options
>> >but if you get options for netcat, then there is something wrong.
>>
>> $ZSH_VERSION is 4.0.4
>>
>> 'n -\t' definitely looks like Netcat.
>
>The netcat completion is not distributed with zsh 4.0.4 (or any 4.0.x)
>precisely because of the nedit name clash.

Well, Debian removed the name clash by renaming NEdit's nc to
nedit-nc, so someone installed Netcat completion.

>> I now looked around a bit (never expected that NEdit is supported
>> (should have remembered that you are using it)) and found
>> .../Completion/X/_nedit, which is Greek to me. What could I do to get
>> the completion I want, if I don't care what happens to Netcat?
>
>Find the netcat completion and remove it. $^fpath/$_comps[nc](N) should
>find it for you.

Found it! I removed the 'nc', that was enough to make NEdit's nc
completion work.

Thank you!

Thorsten
--
The fact that windows is one of the most popular ways to operate a computer
means that evolution has made a general fuckup and our race is doomed.