zsh-users
* Does zsh have a hereis to variable???
@ 2004-09-24 11:09 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2004-09-24 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi
I would like to load  a longish Perl Script into a variable without having to worry about what
quotes might appear in the script, I know zsh has hereis to a file, but to a variable ???

example of what I want to do (but with a longer perl script)

#!/bin/zsh
perlscript='for $i (1..4) { $j="goat$i"; print " billy$j"; }'
result=$(perl -e "$perlscript")
echo $result

zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s%s*%CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne%|:%s)[R-T]) )Ig|:norm G1VGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips

* Re: Does zsh have a hereis to variable???
@ 2004-09-24 11:23 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-09-24 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

zzapper wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to load  a longish Perl Script into a variable without having to
>  worry about what
> quotes might appear in the script, I know zsh has hereis to a file, but to a
> variable ???

I think you want

var="$(<file)"

which puts the contents of file into the variable var without any
substitutions or splitting or joining on the contents.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: Does zsh have a hereis to variable???
@ 2004-09-24 11:41   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2004-09-24 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:23:24 +0100,  wrote:

>zzapper wrote:
>> Hi
>> I would like to load  a longish Perl Script into a variable without having to
>>  worry about what
>> quotes might appear in the script, I know zsh has hereis to a file, but to a
>> variable ???
>
>I think you want
>
>var="$(<file)"
>
>which puts the contents of file into the variable var without any
>substitutions or splitting or joining on the contents.

Peter,
In this this I want the perl to be inline and not in an external file (for portability)
zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

@ 2004-09-24 12:05     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-09-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

zzapper wrote:
> In this this I want the perl to be inline and not in an external file (for po
> rtability)

Well, it's not very elegant, but you can do

var="$(cat <<'HERE'
while (<>) {
print $ENV{"PATH"};
}
HERE)"

where the quotes on the first HERE are important.  You can't have
unbalanced parentheses in the Perl code, however.  Double quotes aren't
a problem.