zsh-users
* zsh 4.3.10-test-3
@ 2010-12-16 11:58 Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-12-16 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

I've uploaded a test versions of zsh:

ftp://ftp.zsh.org/pub/development/zsh-4.3.10-test-3.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.zsh.org/pub/development/zsh-4.3.10-test-3-doc.tar.gz

If this seems not to be broken I'll turn it into 4.3.11, either early
next week or early in the new year if there turns out to be more to do.

I will then attempt to promote it to 4.4.0 shortly thereafter.  The
minor oddities to do with completion that need fixing aren't that
important and aren't likely to happen quickly.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited

* Re: zsh 4.3.10-test-3
@ 2010-12-17 13:03 ` Simon Ruderich
From: Simon Ruderich @ 2010-12-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:58:36AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> [snip]
>
> If this seems not to be broken I'll turn it into 4.3.11, either early
> next week or early in the new year if there turns out to be more to do.
>
> [snip]

Hi,

I just updated my Git repository and built the 4.3.10-test-3 tag
on my Debian Lenny. I got a weird change when using the
completion system.

When I press tab and it suggests a directory the trailing / is
drawn in bold, but only the / and nothing else which I find very
distracting. This happens with zsh -f as well.

It looks like this is a new change in 4.3.11 (the suffix option
in zsh_highlight) and I find it very confusing. Could the default
get changed back to the old behaviour with causes no highlight
(in bold)?

Thanks to Mikachu in #zsh I got a solution to disable it:

    zle_highlight=(suffix:none)

The man page gives the following solution to disable the
highlighting:

    zle_highlight=(none)

But this doesn't work and the bold / is still displayed.

Thanks,
Simon
--
+ privacy is necessary
+ using gnupg http://gnupg.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: zsh 4.3.10-test-3
@ 2010-12-17 16:35   ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2010-12-17 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ruderich; +Cc: Zsh users list

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Simon Ruderich <simon@ruderich.org> wrote:

> Could the default get changed back to the old behaviour with causes no
> highlight (in bold)?

I think the suffix highlighting makes a nice default, since it helps to show
people that the character is nebulous, and may disappear.  Many people who
are new to zsh get surprised by the automatic trimming of a visible slash,
and having an easy way for someone to see that that slash is going to
disappear (or not disappear) when return is pressed is a good thing, in my
opinion.

..wayne..

* Re: zsh 4.3.10-test-3
@ 2010-12-17 17:12     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-12-17 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:35:24 -0800
Wayne Davison <wayned@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Simon Ruderich <simon@ruderich.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Could the default get changed back to the old behaviour with causes
> > no highlight (in bold)?
> >

> I think the suffix highlighting makes a nice default, since it helps
> to show people that the character is nebulous, and may disappear.
> Many people who are new to zsh get surprised by the automatic
> trimming of a visible slash, and having an easy way for someone to
> see that that slash is going to disappear (or not disappear) when
> return is pressed is a good thing, in my opinion.

Yes, the intention that anyone worried by that sort of thing is likely
to be able to do what Mikael suggested to turn off everything, so the
fix should be good enough.