zsh-users
* Building Zsh: No terminal handling library found - But I installed ncourses
@ 2014-04-07 18:43 Josh Wasserstein
From: Josh Wasserstein @ 2014-04-07 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

I am trying to install Zsh without root privileges on a Linux machine. I
downloaded the source tarball and run:

./configure --prefix=<my_installation_path>

but then I got:

configure: error: "No terminal handling library was found on your system.
This is probably a library called curses or ncurses. You may need to
install a package called 'curses-devel' or 'ncurses-devel' on your system"

Installing ncurses:

Since I am not root on this system, I downloaded ncurses and installed it
manually (also using ./configure --prefix=<my_installation_path>), which
seems to have gone well.

I then updated the following paths:

INSTALLATION_PATH='/path/to/installation'
export PATH=$INSTALLATION_PATH/bin/:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$INSTALLATION_PATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CFLAGS=-I$INSTALLATION_PATH/lib

and tried installing Zsh again, but got the same ncurses error. As far as I
can tell, the path variables above point to the right locations, and I can
check this on the shell.

Why is Zsh not recognizing ncurses?

Note: A copy of this question was posted on the Unix & Linux StackExchange
Q&A site:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/123597/building-zsh-no-terminal-handling-library-found

Josh

* Re: Building Zsh: No terminal handling library found - But I installed ncourses
@ 2014-04-07 19:06 ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2014-04-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Wasserstein; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 14:43 -0400, Josh Wasserstein wrote:
> Since I am not root on this system, I downloaded ncurses and installed it
> manually (also using ./configure --prefix=<my_installation_path>), which
> seems to have gone well.
>
> I then updated the following paths:
>
> INSTALLATION_PATH='/path/to/installation'
> export PATH=$INSTALLATION_PATH/bin/:$PATH
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$INSTALLATION_PATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export CFLAGS=-I$INSTALLATION_PATH/lib
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Shouldn't that be:
export CFLAGS=-I$INSTALLATION_PATH/include

> and tried installing Zsh again, but got the same ncurses error. As far as I
> can tell, the path variables above point to the right locations, and I can
> check this on the shell.

You may need to re-run the configure step after changing the environment
variables, otherwise the changes may not be picked up.

Phil.

* Re: Building Zsh: No terminal handling library found - But I installed ncourses
@ 2014-04-07 20:25   ` Josh Wasserstein
From: Josh Wasserstein @ 2014-04-07 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Troin; +Cc: Zsh Users

Thanks Philippe. I fixed that so that CFLAGS points to the include folder
(I tried both the parent folder and the folder with the headers). Still no
luck ...

Josh

@ 2014-04-08  8:53     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2014-04-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Wasserstein, Zsh Users

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:25:04 -0400
Josh Wasserstein <ribonucleico@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Philippe. I fixed that so that CFLAGS points to the include folder
> (I tried both the parent folder and the folder with the headers). Still no
> luck ...

The file config.log is your best bet for working out what it's trying to
do.

pws