zsh-users
* bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-21 19:48 Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2014-05-21 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi there,
If I do
 bindkey '^f' history-incremental-pattern-search-forward

then Ctrl-f does what is expected.

If I do
 bindkey '^s' history-incremental-pattern-search-forward
then Ctrl-s does nothing.

What is my mistake?

--
Manfred

* Re: bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-21 20:28 ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2014-05-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manfred Lotz; +Cc: zsh-users

Manfred Lotz wrote:
[...]
> If I do
>  bindkey '^s' history-incremental-pattern-search-forward
> then Ctrl-s does nothing.

C-s and C-q are used for controlling inband flow-control of the terminal
you run zsh in. You can do this to make zsh turn it off:

  setopt no_flow_control

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-22  1:51   ` Micah Elliott
From: Micah Elliott @ 2014-05-22  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

You might also need to do this:

stty stop ''
stty start ''
stty -ixon
stty -ixoff

(from https://coderwall.com/p/ltiqsq)

But maybe that's what no_flow_control is effectively doing.

--
twitter:@MicahElliott  |  email:mde@MicahElliott.com  |  http://membean.com
Remember your words with Membean!

* Re: bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-22  4:24   ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2014-05-22  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Terbeck; +Cc: zsh-users

On Wed, 21 May 2014 22:28:17 +0200
Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> wrote:

> Manfred Lotz wrote:
> [...]
> > If I do
> >  bindkey '^s' history-incremental-pattern-search-forward
> > then Ctrl-s does nothing.
>
> C-s and C-q are used for controlling inband flow-control of the
> terminal you run zsh in. You can do this to make zsh turn it off:

As I never used flow control I wasn't aware of it.

>   setopt no_flow_control

Yep, that does it nicely.

--
Thanks, Manfred

* Re: bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-22  4:25     ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2014-05-22  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, 21 May 2014 18:51:57 -0700
Micah Elliott <mde@micahelliott.com> wrote:

> You might also need to do this:
>
> stty stop ''
> stty start ''
> stty -ixon
> stty -ixoff
>
> (from https://coderwall.com/p/ltiqsq)
>
> But maybe that's what no_flow_control is effectively doing.

Yes, probably as no_flow_control was sufficient to turn it off. No additional stty
commands required.

--
Thanks, Manfred

* Re: bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-22 14:00       ` Akihiko Hohji
From: Akihiko Hohji @ 2014-05-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Just curiosity, why would you want to disable these two blndkey ?

AKi

On May 22, 2014, at 12:25 AM, Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@yahoo.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 May 2014 18:51:57 -0700
> Micah Elliott <mde@micahelliott.com> wrote:
>
>> You might also need to do this:
>>
>> stty stop ''
>> stty start ''
>> stty -ixon
>> stty -ixoff
>>
>> (from https://coderwall.com/p/ltiqsq)
>>
>> But maybe that's what no_flow_control is effectively doing.
>>

> Yes, probably as no_flow_control was sufficient to turn it off. No additional stty
> commands required.
>
> --
> Thanks, Manfred

* Re: bindkey problem
@ 2014-05-22 16:15         ` Micah Elliott
From: Micah Elliott @ 2014-05-22 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

> why would you want to disable [^s / ^q]?

Good question. They're of historic utility (I don't find their default
pause/resume useful), and mostly just cause confusion when
accidentally pressed. Furthermore, it's great to free up a couple more
convenient/comfortable sequences. Traditionally, tools like screen and
tmux use ^a and ^b as their hotkeys. But those have terrible
collisions with emacs/vi bindings. I bind ^q for my tmux "prefix" and
love it. It's also very similar to reaching for vim's ^w window
bindings. Highly recommended tmux binding.