zsh-users
* How to read into variable with readline support?
@ 2018-01-16 18:42 Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2018-01-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

I would like to read input from the keyboard (like "read $VAR") but
with editing and history support.  I'm sure zsh offers this but I am
too stupid to find out how.

Thanks!
 Andy

--
 Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

* Re: How to read into variable with readline support?
@ 2018-01-16 19:44 ` Eric Cook
From: Eric Cook @ 2018-01-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 01/16/2018 01:42 PM, Andy Spiegl wrote:
> I would like to read input from the keyboard (like "read $VAR") but
> with editing and history support.  I'm sure zsh offers this but I am
> too stupid to find out how.
>
> Thanks!
>  Andy

People normally use vared, which uses zle for line editing.

vared -c var

you can even change the completion used with it:

() {
  local compcontext='hosts:hostname:_hosts'
  vared -cp 'choose a host ' ans
}

* Re: How to read into variable with readline support?
@ 2018-01-18 16:29   ` Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2018-01-18 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> People normally use vared, which uses zle for line editing.

Thanks, Eric, exactly what I was looking for!
 Andy

--
 It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish.
   (Aeschylus)