* Prevent a specific function from being xtrace'd
@ 2021-08-23 16:42 Zach Riggle
From: Zach Riggle @ 2021-08-23 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Hello all!

~~ TL; DR ~~
Is there any way to mark or annotate a function such that its internals
should not be traced, even if "set -x" or "zsh -x" is used?

~~ Research ~~
I've got a handful of functions that get loaded into each script via
"source" or (more frequently) "autoload".

In order for the contents of these functions to not pollute the xtrace
output, I set the first line of each function to do "set +x" which prevents
further tracing.  However, the "set +x" itself shows up in the xtrace.

Chapter 9 (functions) doesn't mention anything about tracing at all.

Chapter 16 (options) mentions a few related things, notably SOURCE_TRACE,
VERBOSE, and XTRACE, but doesn't have anything like that.

Chapter 17 (builtins) discusses the "functions" builtin and some of the
options that are available to it.  None of these look relevant.

~~ Misc Notes ~~
I've created a small script[1] that somewhat achieves this effect, with
TRAPDEBUG and ZSH_DEBUG_COMMAND -- using funcfiletrace to simply not print
any of the lines that come from the file that contains the
do-not-want-traced functions -- but I expect there is something simpler.
It's similar to xtrace / verbose, but only prints the first line of each
statement executed.

[1]: https://gist.github.com/zachriggle/eedbfebee870bf66bfafcc2f78b2da78

*Zach Riggle*

* Re: Prevent a specific function from being xtrace'd
@ 2021-08-23 19:42 ` Eric Cook
From: Eric Cook @ 2021-08-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 8/23/21 12:42 PM, Zach Riggle wrote:
> Is there any way to mark or annotate a function such that its internals should not be traced, even if "set -x" or "zsh -x" is used?

Not really.

* Re: Prevent a specific function from being xtrace'd
@ 2021-08-23 20:04 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2021-08-23 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Riggle; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM Zach Riggle <zachriggle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> ~~ TL; DR ~~
> Is there any way to mark or annotate a function such that its internals should not be traced, even if "set -x" or "zsh -x" is used?

emulate zsh +x -c 'autoload untraced'

(The name "untraced" is for example, not some sort of extra magic.)
It also works for

emulate zsh +x -c 'untraced() { ... }'

but that requires that you're careful about quoting in the function body.

Of course you can still force tracing back on with
  functions -t untraced
or the function internally calling "set -x" etc.

> I've created a small script[1] that somewhat achieves this effect, with TRAPDEBUG and ZSH_DEBUG_COMMAND

>> local first_line=$(head -1 <<<$ZSH_DEBUG_CMD)

Egad.

local first_line=${ZSH_DEBUG_CMD%%$'\n'*}

* Re: Prevent a specific function from being xtrace'd
@ 2021-08-23 23:23   ` Zach Riggle
From: Zach Riggle @ 2021-08-23 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Users

>>> local first_line=$(head -1 <<<$ZSH_DEBUG_CMD)
> Egad.
> local first_line=${ZSH_DEBUG_CMD%%$'\n'*}

That's (almost!) the following line!  I couldn't quite get it to work,
looks like I was missing a $ and the *.

Thanks!

Zach Riggle

Zach Riggle

@ 2021-08-24  2:27     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2021-08-24  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Riggle; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 4:23 PM Zach Riggle <zachriggle@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Egad.
> > local first_line=${ZSH_DEBUG_CMD%%$'\n'*}
>
> That's (almost!) the following line!  I couldn't quite get it to work,
> looks like I was missing a $ and the *.

You can also do

local first_line=${${(f)ZSH_DEBUG_CMD}[1]}

if that seems more appealing.

* Re: Prevent a specific function from being xtrace'd
@ 2021-08-24 13:09   ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2021-08-24 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users; +Cc: Zach Riggle

Bart Schaefer wrote on Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 13:04:42 -0700:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM Zach Riggle <zachriggle@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all!
> >
> > ~~ TL; DR ~~
> > Is there any way to mark or annotate a function such that its internals should not be traced, even if "set -x" or "zsh -x" is used?
>
> emulate zsh +x -c 'autoload untraced'
>
> (The name "untraced" is for example, not some sort of extra magic.)
> It also works for
>
> emulate zsh +x -c 'untraced() { ... }'
>
> but that requires that you're careful about quoting in the function body.
>
> Of course you can still force tracing back on with
>   functions -t untraced
> or the function internally calling "set -x" etc.

function except the ones you don't want to trace, as in:

[[[
% f() { g }
% h() { pwd }
% functions -mT '*'
% functions +T g
% f
+f:7> g
+h:7> pwd
/home/daniel
]]]

This won't apply tracing to top-level code (outside of a function).